Well hey, what a fancy looking apple and celery salad we have here! Look at that delicious homemade creamy blue cheese dressing on top of the stack of apples and celery. Yum.
This is one of the most popular side dish recipes here on my website, you all clearly love it a lot!
Do you cook with fresh celery often? Or should I ask, do you like fresh celery?
I know quite a few people who hate it. But I love it. I often munch on a fresh stalk of celery during the afternoon. I like the crunch, that fresh flavor and juicy inside.
Oh and yes, you can cook with it as well! It’s not just used as a garnish for a Bloody Mary cocktail. My favorite cocktail.
Celery is a fantastic vegetable, and it’s quite underestimated if you ask me. Look at this fancy looking apple and celery salad then with a delicious homemade blue cheese dressing!
You will adore it.
Celery Salad with Apple & Blue Cheese Dressing
Plating this salad up was kind of a challenge.
I actually started to loose my cool because I just didn’t know how to combine the chopped fresh celery and the sliced apple in an appetizing way. Besides I wanted to get it over and done with before the apple would start to turn brown.
So I decided to give it one more chance before throwing in the towel.
I stacked the apple slices up, sprinkled the chopped celery in between it and actually ended up with a lovely tower of apple and celery! Happy me!
For this salad I’m only using the softer and juicier light green inner stalks. This part is more suitable for fresh and crunchy raw salads than the tougher outer stalks. Keep those to make a sofrito for instance.
Do you also need a recipe for those as well?
Then also take a look at my Belgian meatballs in a creamy celery sauce!
- 4 stalks fresh celery
- 1 red apple
- 2 tbsp blue cheese
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 5 tbsp cream
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Rinse the celery and chop it up finely. Add the celery to a mixing bowl.
- Fill another bowl with cold water and then add the lemon juice. Core the apple and slice it up into fine slivers. Add these to the lemon juice bowl.
- Transfer the blue cheese, the cream cheese and the cream to a blender. Season with a pinch of pepper and add half of the poppy seeds.
- Then blend the cheese into a creamy mixture. The dressing should be slightly runny.
- Add half of the dressing to the chopped celery in the bowl and stir well.
- Place some of the celery on a plate. Cover with some apple slices. Then place more celery on top followed by more apple slices and build up the salad like this. Then drizzle with the rest of the blue cheese salad. Finish with some freshly ground pepper and serve.