Do try out my chicken fajita salad! You don’t need any tortilla wraps or bowl of fluffy boiled rice this time to accompany this tex mex chicken strips and bell pepper stir fry. A handful of the crunchiest lettuce is all you need for this one!
I made a steak fajitas dinner before a couple of times.
And it was a huge success. Everyone around the table enjoyed that dinner. And with good reason! I like those sharing dinners. Where you put all the food separately in the middle of the table. And then everyone serves themselves.
Take what you want. Assemble your own wrap. Fajitas are also a great dinner idea for when you have vegetarian guests. They can still assemble their veggie wraps with the salads and sauces that come with it.
However this time, to get some variety in our diet, I decided that this chicken fajita salad would be next on the list. No steak. No tortilla wrap or rice for once to accompany the Mexican flavored chicken strips and bell pepper. But a good handful of crunchy lettuce in a salad bowl.
Let’s keep it a light lunch salad this time!
Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe
For my steak fajita recipe I only used a fresh green bell pepper.
Here in this recipe below, red and yellow bell peppers are far more sweeter and back up the chicken much better than the green ones. On the other side I like to make the chicken pretty spicy though.
Be generous if you like spicy food!
Serve the chicken strips preferably lukewarm or cold. That also makes it a brilliant tex mex summer lunch salad!
Do you want to add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese to your salad for garnish in the end?
Go ahead, please!
- 10,5 oz fresh chicken breast (350 g)
- 2 small red bell peppers
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper seeded and minced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp hot chili sauce
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp lime juice or lemon juice
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 small bag butter lettuce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
Rinse the chicken breasts and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Then slice the chicken into thin slivers. Add them to a ziploc freezer bag. Peel the garlic cloves and smash the finely under the blade of your knife. Add the garlic together with the cumin seeds, the soy sauce, hot chili sauce, paprika powder, brown sugar and lime (or lemon) juice.
- Slice the bell peppers and red onion up into bite-size pieces. Then add them to the bag as well. Drizzle with the vegetable oil. Season with a sprinkle of salt.
- Close the bag and shake all the ingredients well to divide marinade evenly. Let this marinate for 30 minutes. After that place a big non-stick pan over medium-high heat and add the marinated ingredients.
- Quickly stir fry everything for a couple of minutes until the chicken strips are cooked through. Then check the seasoning and add extra salt, soy sauce, lime juice or hot chili sauce to taste.
- Rinse the lettuce, drain well and divide it between plates. Then top with the chicken and bell bell. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and grated cheddar.