Sweet green peas, creamy avocado, fresh mint and crumbled crispy salty bacon… The flavors in this creamy chilled pea soup just rock! It is an absolute people’s pleaser.
And another winner recipe as well!
I mean, just look at the ingredients: green peas, avocado and mint… I threw it all together and in the end this chilled pea soup was what came out of it.
The flavors just sounded so right and I can tell you that the taste was fantastic.
This recipe doesn’t need a lot of your cooking time and space.
Just make sure that you give the green peas the necessary time to thaw and then sauté the peas in a little bit of olive oil. Also get that light garlic flavor in there as well.
Make sure though that you let your freshly made green pea soup cool down enough before you pour the whole lot in a blender to blitz it into a fine puree.
First of all the hot steam from the soup will push itself upwards and force the lid off.
Chances are that your kitchen will be totally covered in green muck.
Been there, done that!
Easy Chilled Pea Soup with Avocado, Mint & Bacon
Believe me, that has happened to me before.
And it is no fun at all.
You will be cleaning your place for hours.
However there is also another reason why you want to let that pea soup cool off. The avocado you will add to it after that shouldn’t be warmed through or its subtle flavor will disappear.
Here is what I love so much about this green pea soup: you can easily prepare this soup a day or so in advance and store it in the fridge for later…
What a nice treat!
Do you love creamy soups without cream or butter in them?
Easy Chilled Pea Soup Recipe with Avocado, Mint & Bacon
Sweet green peas, creamy avocado, fresh mint and crumbled crispy salty bacon... the flavors in this creamy chilled pea soup just rock!
- 3,5 oz frozen green peas (100 g)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock (240 ml)
- 2 slices salted bacon crispy grilled and crumbled
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ small onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- a handful fresh mint chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Peel and chop up the yellow onion and garlic clove. Pour the olive oil in a medium saucepan and add them both.
- Place the pan over medium heat and stir well. Gently fry the garlic and onion for 4 to 5 minutes. Make sure the garlic doesn’t burn. Then add the frozen peas to the pan.
- Stir and fry the peas for 3 minutes. Then pour in the chicken or vegetable stock. Season with a pinch of pepper.
- Stir well again and bring the peas to a boil. Then immediately take the pan off the heat. Let the peas cool down for 10 minutes. In the meantime slice the avocado in half, peel it, remove the seed and chop the soft green avocado meat up. Then stir in the freshly chopped mint.
- Check the seasoning of the soup and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Then pour the cooled soup in a clean blender and add the chopped avocado.
- Blend well for 2 minutes until you get a very smooth puree.
- Check the seasoning once more and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Place the soup in the fridge to chill. Then pour it into bowls, top with the crumbled crispy bacon, extra fresh mint and a drop of olive oil. Serve cold.