Here is the classic among the classics: this classic Greek salad recipe is a must on every food blog and summer table! It’s a great lunch meal and also a superb way to travel to Greece in just one bite. And we love it that way!
Do you know what ingredients go into a classic Greek salad?
We all call this salad a Greek salad, for very obvious reasons of course.
But the Greek have a far more exotic name for it actually: they call this salad horiatiki or xoriatiki! And don’t you think that it sounds so much more appetizing?
At least I do!
Have you been to Greece before? Or one of the Greek islands maybe? Then you certainly must have seen this salad on a menu somewhere. It’s a classic.
Do you know what the main ingredients are in a Greek salad?
Classic Greek Salad Recipe
You definitely need to add fresh tomatoes, cucumber, olives, Greek feta cheese, raw red onion and dried oregano. I have been in Greece a couple of times before and I also came across versions of this Greek salad containing sliced green bell pepper, fresh and crunchy lettuce and pickled apple capers.
So then this is a great lunch salad because of all those fresh vegetables, I have said it before. But then you can easily serve it as a side dish for a juicy grilled pork chop, chicken drumsticks or fish like sea bass or sea bream if you ask me!
Do you love Greek recipes? Or Greek flavors in general?
Then also check out another Greek classic: an oven bake called moussaka!
You certainly must have heard of this one before. Or how about another oven bake with pasta and lamb: a lush Greek giouvetsi!
In the meantime, all there’s left for me to say is: enjoy this mediterranean Greek salad recipe!
Bon appétit, or like the Greek say: kalí órexi!
Classic Greek Salad Recipe
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 3 oz feta cheese (75 g)
- 3- inch fresh cucumber (7,5 cm)
- a handful black olives
- 1 slice red onion
- dried oregano or mixed herbs
- good quality olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh mint sliced
- Rinse the cherry tomatoes, drain them on a clean kitchen towel and then slice them in half. Add the tomatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Rinse the chunk of cucumber and slice it in half lengthwise. Slice the halves in half as well and then chop the cucumber up into thin bite-size bits. Add them to the sliced cherry tomatoes in the bowl.
- Then add the black olives.
- Dice the feta cheese into smaller bits. Tear the red onion slice apart. Add the red onion and diced feta to the bowl.
- Sprinkle the ingredients with the chopped mint and dried oregano (or mixed herbs). Season with a pinch of pepper and salt. Also add a good splash of the olive oil.
- Then stir the salad well.
- Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper, salt, freshly chopped mint or dried oregano (or mixed herbs) and olive oil to taste if necessary. Transfer the salad onto a serving dish or bowl. Let it chill in the fridge for 10 minutes, then serve.