Do try out this creamy chicken pot pie with vegetables and puff pastry: this recipe is ready in less than an hour. And it is a guaranteed crowd pleaser, believe me!
Doesn’t this creamy chicken pot pie look just absolutely amazing?!
Let me guess, that is exactly why you clicked through to see that recipe behind it! Am I right or am I right? Well I can’t blame you: because the first time I saw this picture, I was sold straight away!
Hold on a second, what do you mean by the first time?
Well it is very simple.
This is the very first guest blog post here on my recipe website!
And here is how it went.
A couple of weeks ago UK sisters and very talented fellow food bloggers Irena and Cyna behind the blog Country Hill Cottage reached out to me. I have known both of them for quite some time on social media. And I absolutely love their recipes and website.
So they asked me if I would be interested in doing a blog post swap.
Country Hill Cottage
We both make a new recipe and post.
But instead of posting it on our own blogs, we just post each others. Which is a great way to keep a food blog creative and interesting. Both for my followers and visitors.
And for me of course!
So I didn’t have to think long and hard about an answer.
Yes, of course!
Chicken, Cream & Mushrooms
So here is the plan.
I come up with a brand new recipe for their website and they also do exactly the same for me!
We swapped and exchanged a couple of recipe ideas in emails. And quite soon came to a quick decision. Irena and Cyna would make a rustic looking creamy chicken pot pie with mushrooms. And I decided that I wanted to prepare a lush chicken stroganoff.
Now here is the funny thing.
Both recipes contain pretty much the same ingredients. However the end result is quite different in look, texture and flavor!
As soon as I received those creamy chicken pot pie pictures, gosh I just wanted to dig in. Look how inviting this pie looks! It is creamy, chunky, absolutely packed with the most amazing flavors…
I also like the idea of covering the chicken stew with puff pastry. It makes this creamy chicken pot pie look so rustic and appealing.
You have to give this one a try for sure!
If that is alright with you, I will stop talking right here because I want to let Cyna do the talking from here on. She will give you a little introduction and walk you through the ingredients first before you head over to her creamy chicken pot pie recipe.
So all that is left here for me to do is 1) to thank Irena and Cyna for their amazing invitation! and 2) make a grocery list and run the nearest grocery shop to make this creamy chicken pot pie at home!
And so should you.
A little word from Cyna…
Hi there, junedarville.com fans!
This easy creamy chicken pot pie recipe with mushroom is comfort food at its best!
Tender chicken, leek, and button mushrooms simmered into a succulent, flavoursome filling, topped with crisp golden-brown puff pastry.
The extra creamy sauce contains chicken stock, creme fraîche, and seasoned with fresh herbs and white wine. You can prepare this recipe in less than an hour, which makes it a great dish your family will enjoy on busy weeknights.
Chicken Vol Au Vent
While we planned this guest post, June pointed out that the pie reminded her of chicken vol au vent, a Belgian classic, which I find perfectly fitting for this Belgian-British collab.
I hope you enjoy the recipe and look forward to welcoming you on my blog Country Hill Cottage!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie with Mushrooms
My family loves chicken dishes in all forms and this creamy chicken pot pie is no exception.
I also like the versatility of the recipe. I have prepared this chicken pot pie for many years and often swap ingredients for things I have at hand.
So let’s talk about the ingredients list!
For The Pie Filling
Chicken: Use good-quality, skinless chicken breasts or alternatively boneless chicken thighs or even turkey breasts – the pie will taste just as delicious.
Leek: The recipe calls for 1 stalk of leek, which may seem a lot at first. But the leek melts down while cooking and adds to the rich, creamy flavour. If preferred, use 2 onions, or 5 green (spring) onions instead.
Mushrooms: Mushrooms add to the depth of flavour and make the filling extra hearty. I used white button mushrooms, baby bella or portobellos are great options, too.
Chicken stock: Chicken stock accentuates the chicken aroma. I made the stock with 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) water and 1 1/2 stock cubes. You can also use beef or vegetable stock, whatever you have at hand.
Dry white wine: A splash of dry white wine enriches the aroma of the pie further. If you prefer to make the recipe whiteout wine, simply replace it with the same amount of chicken stock.
Crème fraîche: I prefer crème fraîche over cream for this recipe, as the former has a more velvety, indulgent texture and will not split when combined with the stock and wine.
Herbs: They are a must to season chicken pot pie. I used rosemary and parsley, other herbs such as thyme, chives, oregano, or tarragon taste wonderful as well. If you don’t have fresh herbs, just use 1/2 teaspoon of 2 to 3 dried herbs.
For The Topping
Puff pastry: For convenience, I usually make this chicken dish with ready-rolled puff pastry and skip baking a pie bottom. Both fresh or frozen and thawed puff pastry are suitable, just make sure the pastry sheet is large enough to cover your creamy chicken pot pie dish.
This chicken pot pie tastes delicious served with salad, bread, or potatoes.
Easy Creamy Chicken Pot Pie: The Recipe
Creamy chicken pot pie with puff pastry: ready in under an hour!
- 4 skinless fresh chicken breasts (1 lb - 450 g), diced
- 1 fresh leek chopped
- 4 cups button mushrooms (300 g - 10.6 oz), sliced
- ¼ cup dry white wine (60 ml - 2 fl oz)
- 1¼ cups chicken stock (300 ml - 10.1 fl oz)
- ½ cup crème fraîche (120 ml - 4 oz)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch (cornflour)
- 11 oz puff pastry (320 g), ready-rolled (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
- 2 tbsp cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 tbsp fresh parsley
- table salt
- freshly ground black pepper
1) Sauté the chicken and vegetables first. Heat 3 tablespoons cooking oil in a large skillet or pan over medium-high heat. Add the diced chicken, sliced leek and rosemary. Fry for 4 minutes while stirring occasionally. Then add the sliced mushrooms and white wine. Sauté for another 3 minutes.
2) Combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of chicken stock in a small mixing bowl. Whisk thoroughly until no lumps remain. Add the remaining chicken stock, crème fraîche and cornstarch to the pan and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes until thickened. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3) Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/gas mark 4. Grease the bottom and sides of an ovenproof pie dish with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil.
4) Unroll the puff pastry sheet and cut out slightly larger than the pie dish. Spoon the filling into the dish and spread out into an even layer. Cover with puff pastry and tuck the edges into the sides of the dish. Using a sharp knife make 3 cuts into the puff pastry so the steam can escape while baking.
5) Mix together the cream and egg yolk. Brush the puff pastry with the egg glaze and bake for 25 minutes until the pastry looks puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.