Here is my super fresh Indian cucumber raita: a refreshing Indian yogurt dipping sauce or side dip for your next spicy Indian curry dinner! You will love this raita recipe.
Yogurt and cucumber?
I made this cucumber raita a couple of times before but it’s only now that I realise what I was doing wrong. Not that my former tryouts were inedible, far from that.
But there was just something missing, the flavor wasn’t there.
There was just something not quite right with it but I couldn’t really put my finger on it.
Cucumber Raita (Fresh Indian Yogurt Dip)
Now I know what it was.
I used to add salt to the yogurt sauce.
Salt and yogurt, that’s a big no no – now I know that. Well at least in this raita recipe! It was only after browsing yet another handful of raita recipes I came to realise none of them asked for salt.
And if there is one this I add to practically all of my dishes and recipe, yep that’s salt. Big time.
So the only thing I had to do to succeed was step away from my natural tendency to season with salt. Done. And yes it worked. Don’t think it will be bland without it.
The power of a good raita lays in the other ground spices you add.
It’s also the freshness here that has to be overpowering. Therefore I add lemon juice and freshly grated ginger. Raita is served as a dipping sauce or a side for any spicy Indian curry to calm and cool down your palate and mouth while eating.
I love it!
Do you love raita?
- 7 oz unsweetened yogurt (200 g)
- 10,5 oz fresh cucumber (300 g)
- ½ handful fresh cilantro chopped finely
- ½ handful fresh mint chopped finely
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- ¼ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp fresh ginger grated
- ½ tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Rinse the cucumber well but don’t peel it. Slice it lengthwise in half and carefully scoop out the soft center seeds using a teaspoon (discard this). We will not add it to the raita because it can make it too watery in the end. Dice the rest of the cucumber up into small chunks.
In a large mixing bowl add the yogurt together with the freshly grated ginger, the garlic paste, ground cumin, coriander and cardamom.
Stir well. Now add the diced cucumber chunks and the lemon or lime juice.
Stir the yogurt well. Then add the sesame seeds, freshly chopped cilantro and mint.
- Stir and check the seasoning. Add extra ground spices, garlic paste or lemon juice to taste if necessary.