Are you looking for a couple of easy Chinese recipes that you can make at home? Then I have just what you need. Here’s a lovely drunken chicken recipe you will adore to bits!
What kind of name is that?
I first saw this Chinese chicken and rice wine dish in a cooking program years ago and I was always intrigued by it.
Over the years I have tasted this dish many times while traveling around in Asia. What a delicious creation! Absolutely worth a try, believe me.
Chinese Rice Wine
Have you ever cooked with Chinese rice wine before?
You can find it in the Asian supermarket, and now and then I see it pop up in my local supermarket around the corner. So which rice wine is perfect to cook with? You probably have heard of Shaoxing rice wine before. That’s the most popular I think.
I only found Shuang Sui rice wine, but it’s just as good.
Most rice wine bottles contain about 3 cups (750 ml) of Chinese rice wine.
You only need 2 cups (480 ml) for this drunken chicken recipe. Can you drink the remaining wine? Cooking wine is not for consumption really. Use it for cooking purposed only. I bet that you will find a bunch of other recipes with rice wine to use up the leftover wine!
That ginger and Chinese rice wine broth is amazing, packed with flavor!
I added a couple of ingredients to it that are normally not added, it’s just my twist to it. Star anise, lemongrass and soy sauce are usually not part of this dish. I do think that those ingredients make the wine broth even better.
Drunken Chicken Wings (醉雞翼)
You can make this dish with every cut of chicken: leg, breast, drumsticks or wings. As long as it’s got bones or skin or both. That will give extra flavor to the broth. I went for wings this time.
Serve this drunken chicken preferably cold, that’s how it is traditionally served in Asia.
Which makes it a great recipe to make a day in advance I’d say. The wings taste even better the day after if they have been marinating in that rice wine broth overnight!
Do you love Asian chicken wing dishes?
Then also check my belacan shrimp paste wings!
Drunken Chicken Wings Recipe
You will love this recipe!
- 10 oz chicken wings (300 g)
- 2 cups Chinese rice wine (480 ml)
- ½ chicken bouilon cube
- 1 inch fresh ginger (2,5 cm), peeled
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 medium spring onion
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ star anise
1) Place the chicken wings on the bottom of a large pot. Try to arrange them in one layer. Then add the Chinese rice wine. Also add water until the wings are just submerged.
2) Trim and clean the spring onion. Chop it in half. Add the white part to the wings. Keep the green part for garnish later. Also add the piece of fresh ginger, lemongrass, chicken bouillon cube, soy sauce and star anise.
3) Place the wings over high heat and bring them to a boil. Then turn the heat low and put a lid on the pan. Simmer the wings for 20 minutes.
4) Once cooked, take the pot off the heat and let the wings cool down fully in the Chinese wine broth.
5) Divide the chicken wings over deep plates and drizzle with the wine broth. Garnish with finely sliced spring onion greens. Serve the drunken chicken cold with boiled or steamed rice.