Do you have a couple of leftover egg whites in your fridge? Then you can make this delicious egg white omelet for lunch with a medley of mediterranean vegetables and fresh basil! Yum!
I have a hard time throwing away leftover food.
So this egg white omelet consists of egg whites that I kept in my fridge.
Because I had quite some recipes asking for egg yolks only.
Like for instance when I make fresh pasta.
Or when I need just one yolk to add to a cream sauce or butter sauce like bearnaise sauce for steak!
Leftover Egg Whites
I always keep the whites aside in a cup and then almost daily another white ends up there as well.
So at the end of the week I still had these 3 egg whites left.
I try to keep it quite ‘no waste’ in my kitchen.
And not because zero waste sounds trendy nowadays.
I just don’t like to throw away food.
Egg White Omelet with Mediterranean Vegetables
I had seen omelets before that only contained egg whites but I had never really made one – let alone tasted and egg white omelet so far.
So I guess that now is the moment to try it!
I still got a couple of cherry tomatoes left, fresh basil and a chunk of eggplant and zucchini.
Well that sounds like we will be making a mediterranean style vegetable and egg white omelet today, and I bet that it will be just perfect for a light and healthy lunch!
Light and delicious.
I love the crunch of the stir fried vegetables on top.
I served it with a good slice of fresh sourdough bread the hubs baked last night together with an arugula salad with a simple lemon and olive oil dressing.
What a great hearty last minute lunch!
Do you need more leftover egg white recipes?
Perhaps a sweeter recipe idea?
Then you might also want to check out my Spanish almond and meringue cupcakes.
Simple Mediterranean Egg White Omelet Recipe
Do you have leftover egg whites in your fridge? Then you can make this delicious egg white omelet for lunch with mediterranean vegetables and fresh basil! Yum!
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 small garlic clove sliced
- 2- inch fresh zucchini (5 cm)
- 2- inch fresh eggplant (5 cm)
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 2 slices red onion
- fresh basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig dried rosemary
- Pour the egg whites in a deep plate and season with a little pinch of pepper and salt. Add a little drop of olive oil. Beat the egg whites for 10 seconds until foamy.
- Put it aside until needed later on. Dice the zucchini and eggplant. Chop the cherry tomatoes in half. Pour a tablespoon of olive oil in a small non-stick pan. Then add the sliced garlic, diced eggplant, bay leaf and rosemary.
- Place the pan over medium heat and gently fry the garlic and eggplant for 2 minutes until fragrant. Then add the diced zucchini, the cherry tomatoes and red onion. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Stir fry the vegetables for 3 to 4 minutes. Then take the pan off the heat and transfer the vegetables on a clean plate. Pour the rest of the olive oil in the pan, place it over medium heat and pour in the eggs whites.
- Season with a tiny pinch of pepper and salt. Make sure that the omelet doesn’t stick to the pan and burn.
- Cook the egg white omelet for 2 to 3 minutes until the top has set more or less (depends on how you like your omelet best). Then take the pan off the heat and top the omelet with the stir fried vegetables. Sprinkle with extra pepper and garnish with the fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Is egg white omelet healthy?
Yes, an egg white omelet is a very healthy choice.
Egg whites are a good source of protein, and when combined with vegetables, they provide important vitamins and minerals.
Egg whites are also low in calories and fat, making them a great choice for those on a weight loss or maintenance plan.
How long can I keep leftover egg whites in the fridge?
Egg whites can be kept in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Make sure to store them in an airtight container and consume them within that timeframe.
Why do people eat egg white omelet instead of plain omelets?
Some people avoid egg yolks due to their high cholesterol content.
Although egg yolks are a good source of nutrition, they are also very high in cholesterol which can raise your risk of heart disease.
Additionally, some people may be sensitive to egg yolks and experience an allergic reaction.
Can I buy egg whites separately?
Yes, you can buy egg whites separately.
Many grocery stores sell them in the refrigerated aisle near the eggs. You can also find them in cartons in the baking aisle.
What are 3 desserts that you can make with leftover egg whites?
Perhaps an egg white omelet isn’t really what you are craving right now?
Sweet treats made with leftover egg whites?
You can make meringue cookies, pavlova and angel food cake (or angel cake, is a type of sponge cake made with egg whites, sugar and flour) with it.