So here it is: my crunchy vegetables and lentils in a creamy mustard and honey sauce, the perfect French lentil salad and also a great side dish for chicken or pork by the way!
This simple French lentil salad only takes like 30 minutes to prepare.
Yes you just read that.
I made it numerous times before, mostly as a last-minute salad or side dish. You can always find canned pulses in my pantry. And of course this dish also tastes great with cooked dry lentils of course!
Last Minute Side Dish Idea
Same for fresh carrots and celery! But when I haven’t got any, I sometimes use a frozen ‘brunoise’ mixture of diced onions, celery and carrots. It kind of resembles finely chopped minestrone vegetables.
What a great product!
Do you like lentils?
I have come across quite a few people of the years who really resent lentils. No idea why. I could eat them every day. I also use them quite often in my kitchen. In salads, soups, even curries!
Then you should also take a look at my vegetarian curry with tomatoes and boiled eggs!
Easy French Lentil Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
That classic Dijon mustard and honey dressing is just delish.
A real treat you just have to try out!
I suggest that you use a strong mustard for this one. Because this lentil salad tastes best at room temperature, a little spiciness is all you need to give the lentils that necessary flavor kick. Try to keep the shallots, celery and carrots crisp here! The canned lentils are soft so we can use some crunch in this salad.
Enjoy this lentil salad!
Easy French Lentil Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing Recipe
Crunchy vegetables and lentils in a creamy mustard honey sauce...
- 7 oz canned lentils (200 g)
- 1 small fresh carrot
- ½ stalk fresh celery
- 1 small garlic clove chopped
- 3 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 tbsp strong Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp cream
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
1. Pour the canned lentils in a sieve. Then rinse them quickly and let them drain a bit.
2. Peel the carrot and finely dice it together with the celery. Peel and chop the garlic clove. Add the olive oil to a large non-stick pan. Also add the bay leaf, chopped red onion and garlic to it.
3. Place the pan over medium heat until the oil is hot. Stir fry the onion for 2 minutes. Then add the diced celery and carrot. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
4. Stir the vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir regularly. Then stir in the drained lentils.
5. Cook the lentils and vegetables for another 2 minutes. Then take the pan off the heat and add the chopped parsley and half of the dried herbs.
6. Stir and then check the seasoning. Add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Let the lentil salad cool down fully at room temperature and then scoop it in a serving bowl. Don’t put it in the fridge. Combine the cream, honey, Dijon mustard, the remaining dried herbs and a pinch of pepper and salt to taste into a creamy dressing. Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt.
7. Drizzle the dressing on top of the lentil salad right before serving.