Are you looking for a yummy appetizer bite or a super savory side dish? Then you will just adore these pan fried artichokes in homemade cilantro mayo! Try them, they will be a family favorite from now on, just like here at home!
Yum, crunchy golden artichokes!
I just love artichokes. How about you? Do you prepare artichokes often?
What a great vegetable they are!
When artichokes are in season I love to buy them fresh but when they are not and I got this artichoke craving the frozen ones are just as good for me.
If you think of artichoke appetizers, I’m sure that the first idea that come up in your mind is the classic artichoke dip. And you are right, that’s another delicious cheesy treat that I make from time to time, especially in the winter.
However whenever I throw a summer garden party I tend to go for lighter bites, such as these artichokes below.
Pan Fried Artichokes & Cilantro Mayo
You can serve these pan fried artichokes as a side dish for 2 or as an appetizer, up to you!
And the cilantro mayo? I knew that would back up these crunchy little artichokes like no other. I used a homemade olive oil mayo the hubs often makes. He does that like a boss.
No cilantro in your pantry or fridge?
Maybe you or some of your family members or guests are not fond of cilantro.
Then use any other fresh herb you want such as basil or even fresh mint. I’m sure that even dried thyme and oregano would also work.
Are you looking for yet another great artichoke appetizer?
Then you should also try out my artichoke crisps! I tasted them for the very first time in Barcelona in a tapas restaurant. They are crunchy and so delicious!
Easy Pan Fried Artichokes & Cilantro Mayo Recipe
Enjoy these fried artichokes with cilantro mayo!
- 6 baby artichokes fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 canned anchovy fillets in oil (optional)
- 1 tsp lemon juice or lime juice
- olive oil
For the cilantro mayonnaise, combine the mayonnaise, lemon (or lime) juice and chopped cilantro. Then season with pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir well and then put the mayo in the fridge until later. If you're using fresh baby artichokes, clean and trim them first. Here’s how to do it. Then add the cleaned artichokes or frozen artichokes to a large saucepan and add water until the artichokes are submerged. Season with a little salt.
Place the pan over medium heat until the artichokes are simmering gently. Then cook them for 10 minutes until soft. Drain (slice the artichokes in half if they were frozen in one piece) and place them on kitchen paper to drain further for 10 minutes.
Pour some olive oil in a large non-stick pan and season with a pinch of pepper and salt. Add the artichokes cut side down and then place the pan over high heat.
- Fry the artichokes in the hot oil for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden brown on one side. Turn them over and take the pan off the heat. Add the anchovy fillet (if using) and let it melt away in the hot pan.
- Stir well. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Transfer the artichokes to a large plate and serve with the cilantro mayo.
Then you will love this recipe, Antonet! Try it out and let me know how it was! Have a great weekend! 😉 June