It is time to get into an Italian food mood, because here is my popular fried zucchini recipe! Do you like Italian flavors and zucchini dishes? Then you are in for a great treat! Read on!
I was recently invited to one of the many food parties at my neighbor’s home.
And because there are always a lot of people, each one of us brings wine and a dish. Last time I made a caesar salad, with artichokes instead of chicken because some of the guests are vegetarian.
But this time the theme of the dinner was mediterranean tapas.
I thought I would make something else than a salad. So I decided to make 2 plates of food: a creamy hummus, and this marinated zucchini!
Fried Zucchini Recipe Italian Style
God, it’s so simple it almost makes you cry!
It’s the perfect starter to make in advance. Fry the sliced zucchini off in oil, season and let it rest and marinate in the fridge for a couple of hours if you like.
I usually make this zucchini recipe a day in advance! Just remember to remove the fried zucchini from the fridge 1 hour before serving.
The flavors are much more intense at room temperature.
Believe me, I could have eaten the whole lot!
The fried zucchini has a very fragile texture and flavor. Yet the balsamic vinegar and fresh mint cut through it in perfect unison. Someone brought fresh mozzarella that evening to the birthday party, and I must say that this fried zucchini and mozzarella are a great match for each other!
This fried zucchini is pretty hard to mess up. Keep an eye on the zucchini slices while you fry it: you don’t want to burn them.
Just a little color on them is all you need.
Do you love marinated vegetables?
Then also check out my zucchini salad with mozzarella!
- 2 large fresh zucchini
- ½ cup frying oil
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- a handful fresh mint
- Wash the zucchini and dry. Cut off both ends and chop the zucchini in half. Then slice both pieces lengthwise or use a sharp knife or mandoline slicer.
- Heat the frying oil in a heavy non-stick pan over high heat. Slice the garlic roughly and add it to the hot oil.
- Once golden, remove the garlic and then add it to a deep ceramic dish. Add the slices of zucchini (in batches) to the hot oil and cook for 4 minutes or until golden.
- Turn the slices of zucchini and brown the other side.
- Then remove the fried zucchini (and garlic after frying the first badge or it will burn) and transfer it to the deep dish on top of the fried garlic. Sprinkle with a little balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a little pepper and salt. Shred some of the fresh mint roughly and add it to the fried zucchini as well.
- Fry the rest of the zucchini in badges until all is cooked. Put the fried zucchini in layers on top of each other and sprinkle alternately with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, pepper, salt and mint.
- Put the dish in the fridge to marinate. Then take the zucchini out of the fridge 30 minutes before serving.