Try out these mini ham and cheese crescents with puff pastry: it’s a great Christmas bite or New Year’s Eve appetizer! And it’s so very easy to make… Literally ready in about 30 minutes, no kidding!
You probably know that feeling.
The year slowly draws to a close. The days are much shorter, temperatures drop, store fronts and streets are beginning to look like a Disney World. Colorful lights and decorations everywhere. Yes, it’s almost Christmas time again!
Love it or hate it, you can’t hide from the Christmas craze
And that means that we have to start thinking about some new bites and appetizers because Christmas dinner and New Year’s Eve celebrations are just around the corner! Here’s an easy one this time. You just can’t go wrong with puff pastry, ham and cheese.
How about some mini ham and cheese crescents this time?
Ham and Cheese Crescents Appetizers
Puff pastry, ham and cheese: these ingredients are absolute people pleasers!
Here’s also a fun thing you can do: get your kids or nephews and nieces involved and let them assemble these ham and cheese crescents bites!
Letting kids cook and prep food: I’m a huge supporter of that.
Because I’m convinced that there would be way less picky eaters. Let kids see how interesting it is to prep and cook food. And getting them involved in the kitchen is also good for their self esteem and their feeling of responsibility.
Plus it’s a nice way to interact and bond with your kids.
There’s another one of my appetizer bite that reminds me of these ham and cheese crescents: my easy pigs in a blanket! Or cocktail sausages wrapped in puff pastry.
No need to serve these ham and cheese crescents bites with a fancy dipping sauce because all you need here is just a simple dollop of tomato ketchup!
Well I hope you’ll enjoy this treat!
- ½ sheet puff pastry 4" by 10" (10 cm x 25 cm)
- 2 slices cooked ham
- 2 slices cheese
- 1 egg yolk beaten
- ½ tbsp poppy seeds
- Place the puff pastry sheet on a clean chopping board and slice it in half to make two squares. Then slice each of the squares in half as well. Then slice the pastry rectangles in half making triangles. You should end up with 8 pastry triangles.
- Slice the cooked ham slice into smaller bits that will fit on top of the puff pastry triangles. Place a piece of ham on the wide side of the puff pastry triangle.
- Slice the cheese slice into smaller bits as well, about the side of the ham. Then place a piece of cheese on the cooked ham. Season with a pinch of pepper.
- Roll the crescents up carefully and place then on baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with the beaten egg yolk and then sprinkle with some poppy seeds.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Then remove crescents from the hot oven and let them cool down a little. Serve with ketchup.