Don’t let the thought of making tacos from scratch put you off because it really looks way more complicated than it is. Make the dough, assemble the tuna and tomato salads, roll out the dough and bake the tacos.
I really thought I would need much more time because this recipe looks far more difficult.
I started preparing this dish around noon and reckoned we were in for a late lunch. But surprisingly the freshly baked tacos and salads appeared on our table just one hour later.
Homemade Soft Tacos with Tuna & Pico de Gallo
You can make whatever salads you want, and also turn it into a vegetarian dish.
It’s a great dinner idea if you got some guests. Easy to prepare in advance and everyone is free to assemble the tacos the way they like. Just put all the ingredients in the middle of the table and then let them choose for themselves.
What a great recipe this is, I’ll be making more soft tacos in the future! You can replace the spices in this recipe by my homemade taco seasoning.
Do you love homemade tacos?
For The Tuna & Tomato Filling
- 3,5 oz canned tuna (100 g), drained weight
- 3 tbsp canned black beans
- a handful fresh mint chopped
- a handful fresh cilantro chopped
- ⅓ tsp ground cumin
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice or lemon juice
- ½ ripe avocado diced
- garlic powder
- Chop the cherry tomatoes up and them add them to a medium mixing bowl together with the chopped onion, a pinch of garlic powder, pepper and salt, the ground cumin, lime juice and half of the freshly chopped cilantro and mint.
- Stir well until you get a chunky tomato salad. Then check the seasoning. Add extra pepper, salt, cumin, lime juice or garlic powder to taste if necessary. Place the tomatoes in the fridge to chill. Then in another bowl combine the drained tuna, the black beans and the rest of the freshly chopped cilantro and mint. Season with some pepper and salt.
- Stir the tuna well. Place both the tomato and tuna salad in the fridge until needed later on.
For The Homemade Soft Tacos
It’s hard to believe maybe but one hour is all it takes to make and stuff these homemade soft tacos from scratch!
Fill them up with some canned tuna, fresh avocado and a good old crunchy pico de gallo salsa.
That just sounds amazing, right!
- 5 oz plain flour (140 g)
- ½ cup water (120 ml), warm
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- ¼ tsp curcuma powder
- Add the flour, sugar, ground curcuma and a pinch of salt to a mixing bowl or blender.
- Add the water and stir or blend for 10 seconds until you end up with a slightly sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface, sprinkle with extra flour and knead the dough for a minute. Then wrap it up in some cling film. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Then divide the dough into 6 even balls. The scraps of dough that are left, make another 2 tacos.
- Roll the balls out on a lightly floured surface using a rolling pin. Don’t make them to thin. Make sure the dough doesn’t stick to the surface. With a serving ring or glass cut out a neat circle.
- Place the dough circles on some cling film. Gather the dough scraps and divide this into 2 balls. Make 2 more tacos. You should end up with 8 tacos. Place a non-stick pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Don’t add any oil or butter. Place a dough circle in the hot pan and let it bake for a minute. Then flip it over using a spatula.
- Bake it on the other side for 2 minutes. Flip it over a couple of times to make it bake evenly. The dough should be cooked inside but not crunchy. Place the baked tacos on a clean plate and prepare the rest. Then serve the tacos with the tuna salad, the tomato salad and the chopped avocado.