Do you make hot dogs at home? Here’s my hot dog recipe! It has sweet and salty caramelized onions, creamy coleslaw and a homemade 5-minute sweet pickle relish!
So then here’s my very own classic hot dog recipe.
Just the way I like my hot dog best! And that means with sweet and salty caramelised onions, creamy coleslaw and also a homemade 5 minute sweet pickle relish!
Try it out and see for yourself!
What’s your favorite hot dog topping?
This is a simple and classic hot dog recipe, just the way I like them. A simple baked sausage topped off with caramelised onions, homemade coleslaw, homemade sweet pickle relish, all stuffed into a crunchy bun…
Lunch, snack, breakfast even – I could have this treat day in day out. And the hubs could not agree more! I don’t have to tell him twice that we are having hot dogs for dinner. You should see his face light up.
Easy Hot Dog Recipe with Coleslaw & Sweet Relish
Sweet pickle relish I mentioned before. Hard to find that in Europe where I live… But! I managed to create a great copy of it using only a handful of ingredients and a blender. Best thing about it: the relish is ready in just 5 minutes. So there you go: a classic dog.
What’s your favorite side for a hotdog then: fries or potato crisps?
You don’t have to pick one. I love both, can’t really chose one. Maybe I would serve potato crisps for lunch, and a hot dog with fries for dinner. I had honestly not thought of adding crisps to a meal before. Think it was in the US during the very first time that I was there visiting New York. I ordered a big ass sandwich for lunch. And it came with a small bag of crisps. And I really liked the idea!
So ever since then we’ve started doing that as well for lunch. Love crisps!
Do you like making your own hot dogs at home?
Then also check out my chili dog recipe!
Easy Hot Dog Recipe
- 2 tbsp sweet relish (homemade)
- 1 fresh spring onion
- 2 fresh sausages
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- a handful shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 hot dog buns
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp strong mustard
- Peel the garlic and yellow onion and slice both up. Add half of the unsalted butter to a medium non-stick pan and let it melt over medium heat. Then add the sliced onion and garlic. Season with a little pinch of pepper and salt.
- Stir and bake the onion and garlic for about 15 minutes or until the onion is golden brown and glossy. In the meantime add the shredded cabbage and carrots to a mixing bowl together with the mayonnaise, the strong mustard and a pinch of pepper and salt. Slice the spring onion finely and add it to the bowl as well.
- Stir into a creamy coleslaw and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Place the slaw aside until needed later on. If you are making your own 5-minute sweet relish, this is the time to do it. Keep an eye on the onions. Add extra butter or some water if necessary. Stir regularly to prevent them from burning. Then take the pan off the heat.
- Add the rest of the unsalted butter to a non-stick pan and let it melt over medium-high heat. Then add the fresh sausages.
- Brown them on all sides for about 7 to 8 minutes or until cooked through. Then take the pan off the heat.
- Slice the hot dog buns open and add a little of the caramelized onions and a baked sausage to it.
- Then top with the rest of the onions and the creamy coleslaw. Finish with the sweet relish. Serve immediately while the sausages are hot.