Here’s my chunky rich Italian bean soup! It is a quick and easy tomato and vegetable soup with delicious ingredients in it such as canned white beans and fresh basil. Well that sounds to me like the best meal to beat that icy autumn weather then!
Do you like a bit of Italian sun on your plate from time to time?
Then this next soup recipe is the one that you definitely have to try out! This Italian bean soup is all you need when you’re looking for a quick but wholesome, frugal and hearty meal soup.
The sort of soup that you can pour into a large bowl, nestle yourself on the couch, little blanket. Watch TV and let that tomato soup warm you up. Cozy and snug, that’s how I like my dinners in the winter sometimes!
Right. So this soup is vegetarian. Look how a handful of canned white beans can brighten up a dish and make it more filling! Throw in some fresh tomatoes and let the soup simmer a little…
Do you want to add some meat to it?
Then I suggest that you add chop up sausages or little meatballs.
Savory, easy and fast!
Italian Bean Soup with Tomatoes
The hubs is not a huge fan of tomato soups though.
However he liked this one a lot. Especially because I added the beans, which he loves. Bean soup are really his thing.
I always keep a bag of frozen soup vegetables (that veg mix that you use to make a minestrone) in my freezer. This mix comes in handy if you only need a tiny amount of them. I’m not buying a bunch of celery to use just half a stalk.
Do you love Italian soups?
Then also check my Italian meatball soup!
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves chopped
- 3 large fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium fresh carrot chopped
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock (720 ml)
- 10,5 oz canned white beans (300 g), drained weight
- 2 handfuls fresh basil chopped finely
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Pour a little olive oil in a non-stick pan then and add the chopped onion and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes until the onion starts to soften. Stir regularly. Add the chopped tomato and carrot to the hot pan.
- Stir the vegetables well and cook for 8 to 10 minutes under a lid over medium-low heat. Stir regularly. Add a little splash of the stock if necessary to prevent the vegetables from burning. Then add the rest of the stock, the tomato paste and the chopped basil. Season with a little pepper and salt to taste.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Then turn the heat very low and simmer for another 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and add the drained white beans. Stir well and check the seasoning again. Add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Divide the tomato and bean soup over large bowls and serve piping hot.