You are going to love these Japanese yaki udon noodles! This delicious noodle recipe contains bacon, prawns, cabbage, carrots and sweet mayonnaise! Oh, I like the sounds of it as well. What a great noodle dish is this!
Some time ago I was very active on a social platform called Google+.
There I got in touch with numerous other food bloggers and food lovers. Food blogger Lin Bloor from the UK started a live series about home cooking. She asked a couple of bloggers and foodies from around the world if they would want to cook in front of the camera, live.
I was on it as well once, you can watch that episode here.
One of the live cooking hangouts that I liked the most was in Japan. On it Japanese foodie Candy prepared this Japanese yaki udon noodles dish live from Tokyo. God, I had such a great time watching her cook it, she’s funky.
Also her noodle dish made me instantly hungry even though I had just had dinner already that day. So because of that I immediately transferred this Japanese noodle dish on next week’s menu.
Japanese Yaki Udon Noodles Recipe
I tried to find all the ingredients that Candy used but that was a hard thing to do.
I’m also using bacon and prawns in my recipe, she used bacon and pork back then. Other traditional Japanese condiments such as bonito flakes or beni shoga (pickled red ginger) were way too hard to find here.
Anyway, it seemed like I did eventually turn this dish into a great meal with what I had. Because everyone around my dinner table here loved it to bits. Great taste not to mention those lovely colors as well!
Do you love Japanese noodles?
Then also check out my Japanese miso ramen soup with prawns!
- 10 prawns (fresh of frozen) peeled
- 4 slices unsalted bacon
- 10,5 oz udon noodles (300 g), precooked
- 1 small onion
- 2 handfuls bean sprouts
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 handfuls fresh carrot
- 2 handfuls green cabbage sliced finely
- 1 tbsp dashi or fish sauce
- 1 sheet nori seaweed sliced finely
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp soy sauce or worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- sesame seeds
- vegetable oil
- If you are using frozen prawns, let them thaw. Slice the bacon into thin strips and add it to a large wok or pan. Pour in a glass of water.
- Then place the pan or wok over medium-high heat and cook the bacon until most of the water has vaporized. Stir regularly. Slice the yellow onion finely and add it to the pan together with the garlic paste and a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Gently fry the onion, garlic and bacon for 3 more minutes until soft. Peel the carrot and slice it finely. Add it to the bacon in the pan.
- Stir well and cook for 2 minutes. Then add the peeled shrimp.
Cook for 2 minutes. Then add the sliced cabbage and the bean sprouts. Season with a little pepper.
- Stir the vegetables well and add a little extra water if necessary. Cook the vegetables for another 3 minutes until a little soft. Then add the precooked noodles.
- Stir all the ingredients in the pan well now and let the noodles warm through for 3 more minutes. Then season with the oyster sauce, mayonnaise, dashi (or fish sauce), half of the sliced nori and the soy sauce (or worcester sauce).
- Stir the noodles well and check the seasoning. Add extra condiments to taste if necessary. Scoop the noodles and prawns into large bowls. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and the rest of the sliced nori. Serve hot.