A couple of cooked sea bream fillets from last night’s fish dinner, a handful of stir fried pumpkin, crunchy cashew nuts for crunch. Drizzle it all with a light soy sauce marinade that you can whip up in just a minute… This delicious kale salad recipe is a healthy lunch idea!
The hubs bought this huge sea bream at the local farmers market yesterday.
It was on sale and he just couldn’t resist. Besides sea bream is my favorite fish. But it was massive. We both love sea bream and fish in general to death because it is so good and flavorful. It has this nice texture and bite to it.
But this sea bream was out of this world big. We just couldn’t finish it in one sitting even though we tried hard. So then that’s how we ended up with a couple of beautiful and fatty fillets of leftover cooked fish in our fridge!
So what shall we do with it then?
Well let’s turn it into another lovely meal, for lunch this time. I can see kale and pumpkin in my pantry.
Let’s make a crunchy kale and fish lunch salad!
Kale Salad Recipe with Pumpkin & Fish
I cleaned the fish up, removed the skin and bones.
Until I ended up with a couple of beautiful fillets. So lunch it is! I just bought fresh kale as well and a chunk of pumpkin.
This starts to sounds like there’s a lukewarm kale and fish salad recipe in progress here! I wanted to add some pumpkin seeds for extra crunch but I had none. So in the end I went for cashews instead.
I used fresh sea bread but any type of cooked fish and even canned mackerel, tuna or sardines is just fine as well.
Do you love kale?
Then also check out my kale and potato mash with smoked sausage!
- 4,5 oz cooked fish or canned fish (125 g)
- 7 oz fresh pumpkin (200 g), diced
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 3 handfuls fresh kale
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (or coriander, fennel, cumin seeds)
- ½ cup water (120 ml)
- a good handful cashew nuts
- a handful fresh parsley
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Add the diced pumpkin a dry non-stick pan, preferably a wok.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat until it is hot and then stir fry the pumpkin for 4 minutes without adding any oil. Then add the seeds, a pinch of pepper and salt and pour in the water as well.
- Put a lid on the pan and let the pumpkin steam and cook for 7 minutes until cooked through. The water should have disappeared by now. Then add the kale, the fresh parsley and the olive oil.
- Stir fry the kale and the pumpkin for another 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the soy sauce, the vinegar and add the cashew nuts.
- Gently fry the vegetables for another 2 minutes and the check the seasoning. Add extra pepper salt or soy sauce to taste if necessary. Then take the pan off the heat and divide the kale, pumpkin and cashew nuts over 2 deep plates. Top with the cooked or canned fish. Finish with a couple of drops of olive oil. Serve immediately.