Are you an Italian food lover? Then you should definitely try out this creamy eggplant and lemon risotto! It is vibrant and packed with flavor. What an excellent risotto recipe this is!
Do you like risotto?
How often do you prepare risotto in your kitchen?
We absolutely adore a risotto dinner here at home from time to time. And I love cooking risotto because the hubs always says that my risotto dinners are so delicious. And I think that the reason behind that is, that I keep my risotto dishes very creative, surprising and packed with different ingredients every time.
I’ve made all kinds of risotto version before.
From green peas, parsnip and bacon, fennel and lemon, mushrooms, and zucchini risotto to smoked haddock, tomato risotto with tuna and even a miso risotto with bacon and quails. Those are already present in my risotto recipe collection.
Risotto is delicious as a main meal. However you can also serve risotto as a side. Interested? Then also check out my red wine risotto or risotto rosso. And how about my saffron risotto, also an Italian classic called risotto alla milanese.
But what vegetable to add this time?
Lemon Risotto with Eggplant
Fresh eggplant has been on my bucket list for quite a while.
Do you like eggplant?
Well here’s the catch. The hubs isn’t that much into eggplant. But I cooked it the way he likes it. So this Italian treat it turned out to be a huge success again! This refreshing lemon risotto with pan fried eggplant is a blessing.
Every single time, but even more on hot summer days.
My creamy eggplant and lemon risotto: are you an Italian food lover? Here’s another vibrant risotto recipe you definitely must try! A chunky lemon and eggplant risotto then, cool!
Perfect flavors to satisfy huge appetites.
- 7 oz risotto rice (200 g)
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- ½ onion diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock (470 ml)
- 2 small fresh eggplants
- 3,5 oz parmesan cheese (100 g), grated
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 slices fresh lemon chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- olive oil
- Pierce one eggplant with a knife a couple of times.
- Put it on an oven rack and then grill the eggplant in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for 1 hour. Turn off the heat in the end but leave the eggplant in the oven for another hour until cooled. Cut it in half and remove the soft eggplant meat with a spoon.
- Chop up the meat and then put it aside until later. Heat some olive oil in a pan and add the chopped garlic and onion.
- Cook for 4 minutes. Add the risotto rice and stir well.
- Add some vegetable stock and cook over medium heat until it has vaporized.
- Repeat until the risotto rice is nearly tender. In the meantime dice the remaining eggplant. Heat a little olive oil in a pan over high heat and add the diced eggplant.
- Quickly stir fry for 4 minutes until the eggplant starts to soften and brown. Season with a little pepper and salt. Then take the pan off the heat and put it aside.
- Add the chopped eggplant flesh and lemon to the risotto.
- Season with pepper and salt. Stir in the parmesan cheese (keep some aside for garnish) and butter.
- Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste. Scoop the risotto onto deep plates. Top with the diced eggplant, chopped parsley and the remaining parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.