Leftover lamb roast and soy sauce? That’s the perfect match for my lukewarm shredded lamb salad with delicious Japanese soba noodles!
I’m on a soba noodle roll lately!
Are you familiar with soba?
Maybe you have tasted soba noodles before? I love them. But what are they actually?
Soba noodles are Japanese noodles. And they are totally different from the Japanese thick udon or even Chinese egg noodles.
Why? Because soba noodles consist of buckwheat flour, not white flour.
So what do they taste like?
Well that’s kind of hard to describe. Their texture is soft and I would say grittier than egg noodles. More like wholewheat pasta. Not sure if I express myself well enough here.
Anyway, you can find buckwheat soba noodles pretty easily nowadays. I’ve seen them before in every large supermarket, in the Asian department though. Not where the usual Italian pasta is.
Japanese soba noodles are quick and easy to prepare. They cook very fast and you can use them in lots of salads and soups. Like this lukewarm shredded lamb salad with soy sauce and sesame for instance… Or as a side dish for fish!
Lukewarm Shredded Lamb Salad with Soba Noodles
Lamb and soy sauce.
Those flavors go very well together so be generous with the soy sauce. Lamb can be very strong in flavor on itself so don’t you worry about overpowering it. I do suggest that you go for the light soy sauce, not the dark and sticky one.
Do you want to add even more flavor?
Then add a drop of toasted sesame oil as well!
I’m already looking forward to the next time we have lamb for dinner. I’d prepare exactly the same salad with the leftovers again, it’s so addictive!
Do you have leftover lamb in your fridge?
Then you can also make this leftover lamb parmentier with it! It’s more like a shepherd’s pie, just in case you need something more warm and filling for dinner.
- 7 oz leftover lamb roast (200 g)
- 5,5 oz dry soba noodles (155 g)
- 1 small fresh carrot grated
- 3 green beans chopped
- a handful fresh mint and cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- garlic powder
- Shred the lamb up finely and add it to a medium mixing bowl together with a tablespoon of soy sauce, a tablespoon of water, a pinch of garlic powder and half of the sesame seeds.
- Stir well and then put the lamb aside (at room temperature) to marinate.
- Prepare the soba noodles. Check the package instructions to see how. Once cooked, drain the noodles and then refresh them under cold running tap water. Let the noodles drain once more.
- In a large non-stick frying pan or wok add the vegetable oil and the grated carrots and a pinch of garlic powder.
Place the pan or wok over medium-high heat until the oil is hot. Quickly stir fry the carrots in the warm oil for 3 minutes. Then remove the pan from the heat again and add the soba noodles and remaining sesame seeds.
- Stir well and add the rest of the soy sauce, a pinch of pepper, the freshly chopped herbs and the green beans.
- Stir well again. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or soy sauce to taste if necessary. Divide the soba noodle salad between, plates and top with the marinated shredded lamb.