Easy peasy homemade Mexican zucchini burrito boats… What a colorful lunch option and a great recipe idea this is for your upcoming Cinco de Mayo food fiesta!
Are you ready for a Mexican party?
Do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo around where you like?
In Europe cinco de mayo is not an important day, especially in Belgium where I come from. But as a food blogger I can’t ignore it. Almost all of my blog visitors are American. So it would be such a shame to not come up with a couple of delicious Mexican style recipes.
Cinco de Mayo
It is a very popular Mexican holiday.
And from a food blogger’s point of view, I mean really popular. Honestly, I even get more views around May the fifth than for Thanksgiving in November even, can you believe that.
So here’s a new Cinco de Mayo party idea: Mexican zucchini burrito boats!
Don’t you think that it’s a funky looking plate?
I’m not sure though where I go the idea from. I think that I might have seen it some time ago on Pinterest if I’m not mistaken. You should scroll through Pinterest around Cinco de Mayo. That feed goes crazy, the amount of Mexican style recipes on there is absolutely bonkers.
But I have always had lots of inspirational ideas after visiting Pinterest.
Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats
So what goes into these vegetarian zucchini burrito boats?
The stuffing is simple: it contains cooked rice, black beans, tomato, bell pepper, sweet corn and a bunch of spices. Pop the whole lot for about 20 minutes in a hot oven and then your meal is ready to be served. I love it when the zucchini is still kind of crunchy instead of soggy and soft.
Do you love these sunny Mexican flavors?
Then also check out my chili con carne recipe for a main meal!
Enjoy these colorful zucchini boats!
Mexican Zucchini Burrito Boats Recipe
- 1 small fresh zucchini
- 3 tbsp canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp cooked rice
- 2 cherry tomatoes chopped
- 3 tbsp green bell pepper diced
- 2 tbsp onion chopped
- 2 tbsp canned sweet corn
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
- garam masala
- chili powder
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 4 tbsp cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise. Then remove the softer inside of the zucchini using a teaspoon.
2. Pour the olive oil in a small frying pan and add the tomato paste.
3. Place the pan over high heat until the oil is hot. Once the paste starts sizzling, add 3 tablespoons of water.
4. Stir well and let the tomato paste reduce. Then take the pan off the heat and add the black beans, bell pepper, tomato, sweet corn and cooked rice.
5. Stir well and then season with a pinch of the garlic powder, ground cumin, garam masala, chili powder and a pinch of salt. Also add the freshly chopped cilantro as well.
6. Stir this colorful mixture well again and then check the seasoning. Add extra spices to taste. Fill the zucchini with this mixture and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
7. Place the zucchini on a baking tray and cover with tinfoil. Bake the zucchini in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 20 minutes. Then remove the tinfoil and grill the zucchini for 5 more minutes until the cheese has nicely melted. Remove the zucchini from the hot oven and serve.