Look at this velvety fresh parsley soup with a bunch of meatballs in it: this is some powerful stuff! Do you have an enormous bunch of parsley in your pantry but uncertain what to do with it all?
Then this is the perfect recipe for you!
Have you ever thought of making fresh parsley soup at home?
The fresh flat leaf parsley was on sale for a bargain in my supermarket and I bought a huge bunch of it. I cook a lot with parsley but even after 3 days it seemed like I hadn’t even put a dent in it at all.
And it started to go a little limp as well.
So it was about time to find a good recipe before the herbs would die on me.
The mission: make a yummy recipe that asks for loads and loads of parsley. What better meal to make than a fresh and vibrant green parsley soup of course!
Parsley Soup with Meatballs
I used fresh celery and a potato as a base for my soup.
I still had half a celery head left after making meatballs in celery sauce. Once you start blending the fresh parsley into the sifted soup, you will see how bright that green color is! It also kind of reminds me of my bright green eels in herb sauce.
Another lovely dish!
The meatballs were a last minute idea.
They turn this soup into a terrific meal soup, excellent dinner as well. I thought of adding cream to the soup but I decided not to add any at all in the end.
The soup is quite creamy in itself already but go ahead and a bit of add cream if you like! I reckon it’s just perfect for cold winter days.
Dig in and enjoy!
Parsley Soup with Meatballs Recipe
- 9 oz meat mince (250 ml)
- 1 2/3 lbs fresh celery (750 g), chopped
- 2 bunches fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium potato chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock (920 ml)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
1. Add the mince to a bowl and season with a pinch of pepper and salt. Then knead the mince and roll it into small balls. I made 12 meatballs.
2. Place them in the fridge until needed later. Add the chopped onion, garlic, bay leaf and olive oil to a large pan.
3. Place the pan over medium heat until the oil is hot. Cook the onion for 4 minutes. Then add the chopped celery and potato.
4. Stir and cook the celery and potato for 4 minutes. Then add the warm chicken soup and season with a pinch of pepper.
5. Stir and cover the pan. Cook the vegetables for 20 minutes. Then mix or blend the soup until smooth.
6. Then take the pan off the heat and pour the soup through a fine sieve over another large pan.
7. Stir the remaining pulp in the sieve and press it well until there's no liquid coming out of it anymore. Discard the pulp. Prep the flat leaf parsley: discard the tougher stems and keep the leaves and softer stem. Add these to the soup.
8. Mix the soup well again until you get a bright green soup.
9. Then place it back over medium heat until the soup simmers gently. Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt. Then add the meatballs.
10. Cover the pan again and gently boil the meatballs in the parsley soup for 6 minutes. Scoop the parsley soup into bowls and serve.