Parsnip slaw with grated carrots, mayo and raisins! I love parsnips: they are so flavorful and a tad sweet, probably one of my all time favorite winter vegetables!
Do you like fresh parsnip?
Nope, this time I am not make a classic coleslaw for once but a freshly grated parsnip slaw with carrots.
You just have to love parsnips!
Do you like parsnip?
They are so flavorful and a tad sweet!
And most probably one of my favorite winter vegetables. And for that reason I also have a couple of other parsnip salad recipes up my sleeve.
I love to make parsnip soup, parsnip risotto or how about my scalloped potato and parsnip au gratin?
The latter is meant to be a au gratin side dish but I could easily eat the whole lot just like that. I don’t need anything else with it. That earthy and slightly sweet flavor is so addictive. Scalloped potatoes, parsnips, cream and cheese.
What’s not to love?
Creamy Carrot Parsnip Slaw
Do you often cook with parsnips?
It depends on whether parsnips are easily available around where you live. In Belgium you can find them pretty much all your round. In Spain however parsnips are hard to find. I do know one vegetable stall at the central market in the capital that sells them, but like just a couple of months and then it is finished.
Parsnips is called chirivia in Spanish by the way.
The very first time that I prepared parsnips for the hubs (I made a simple parsnip soup) he thought it was actually a mixture of pumpkin and carrot. Flavor wise he was actually pretty close.
But make way for this raw parsnip carrot salad.
Yes, you eat this parsnip salad raw!
Make this parsnip salad as creamy as you want.
Are you not a mayo fan?
Then you can also add yogurt as a dressing if you like! And don’t forget to add those raisins. Their sweet taste goes perfectly well together with the parsnip and carrot.
Best Creamy Carrot & Parsnip Slaw Recipe
Parsnip slaw with grated carrots, mayo and raisins!
- 1 medium fresh parsnip
- 1 small fresh carrot
- 2 tbsp red onion chopped
- 1 fresh spring onion
- a handful raisins
- 1 tsp strong mustard
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- a handful fresh parsley
- First of all peel the parsnip and rinse it. Then grate it finely and transfer it to a large mixing bowl.
- Now peel the carrot, rinse it as well and grate it finely too. Then add it to the grated parsnip in the bowl.
- Stir and add the chopped red onion. Slice the spring onion finely. Chop the raisins roughly and add both spring onion and raisins to the bowl as well. Season with a little pinch of pepper and salt.
- Stir the slaw well. Now add the strong mustard (add half if you are not sure about the spiciness) and the mayo.
- Stir well again until creamy. Rinse the fresh parsley and chop it up finely. Add it to the slaw.
- Stir the slaw well and check the seasoning. Add extra pepper, salt, mustard or mayo to taste if necessary. Give it one last good stir. Let the slaw chill in the fridge for 5 minutes, then serve.