Have you ever heard of this one? This creamy African peanut soup recipe? It’s a rich soup that contains ingredients such as diced chicken, fresh carrots, ground cinnamon and a good scoop of peanut butter… This is one of my favorite chicken soup recipes!
And definitely one of my favorite chicken soups.
It’s got one of my all time favorite ingredients in it: peanut butter!
Yes, you just read that. Peanut butter in a soup. And if you are a peanut butter fan, then this African peanut soup recipe is right up your alley.
Peanut butter and chicken? You will adore this one as well!
Gosh, before I had never ever thought of adding peanut butter to a soup.
How about you?
I can already hear you think, what? And you are absolutely right. Adding peanut butter to a soup sounds incredibly bonkers. But the minute I read about it, it made sense though.
So I just had to try it out.
Easy African Peanut Soup Recipe
This peanut soup recipe also reminds me of a rather runny peanut butter curry or kari.
Peanut curries are also popular in Thailand. Anyway, it is a great comfy soup. And the perfect treat for cold winter days. But also a hearty summer lunch if you ask me.
This peanut soup is quick and easy to prepare, it takes just 30 minutes!
Besides the peanut butter, this soup doesn’t contain any other funny stuff.
Good old diced chicken. Because peanut butter and chicken, that’s a great combo.
And then there are also a couple of everyday vegetables such as carrots and onion. But next time I think I will turn it up a notch and add other vegetables such as fresh okras (or ladies’ fingers), turnips, Thai eggplant and even sweet potatoes.
Are you in for a treat? Then try out this peanut soup!
Easy African Peanut Soup Recipe
African peanut soup recipe: with chicken, carrots, cinnamon and peanut butter... This is one of my favorite chicken soup recipes!
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 10,5 oz fresh chicken breasts (300 g)
- 1 small fresh carrot diced
- 2- inch fresh ginger (5 cm, grated
- 2 cups chicken stock (480 ml), warm
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- a handful salted peanuts chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Rinse the chicken breast under cold running tap water and pat it dry with some kitchen paper. Then dice the chicken up into bite-size chunks. Pour the vegetable oil in a large saucepan and place it over medium-high heat. Once the oil is almost hot, add the diced chicken.
- Stir well and quickly brown the chicken on all sides until a little browned. Then add the chopped garlic, yellow onion, diced carrot and the freshly grated ginger.
- Stir well. Cook for 3 minutes. Then add the spices: the ground cinnamon, cumin, coriander and turmeric. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Stir and cook for another 4 minutes. Then pour in the warm chicken stock and add the tomato paste as well.
- Stir and bring the soup to a rolling boil. Then turn the heat low and simmer it for about 10 minutes. After that stir in the peanut butter.
- Let the peanut butter melt into the chicken soup and simmer for another 10 minutes. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Scoop the peanut soup into large bowls and garnish with the chopped salted peanuts. Serve piping hot.