The flavors in this pesto chicken soup are spot on… How I love the match between the creamy avocado and then that stronger fresh basil pesto! You definitely have to give this soup a try. I am sure that you will love it!
Avocado in a soup, are you kidding me?
So here is another recipe with a couple of very ripe avocados that isn’t the usual and classic guacamole dip! Nope, you can make other recipes with overripe avocados, believe me!
The flavors in this pesto chicken soup are truly spot on.
You know, when I was making this soup, I really didn’t have a solid plan in my head. I just had the ingredients laying around in my fridge and fruit basket. And I thought that I should make a makeshift lunch with those avocados in it as well.
I am sure that you will love the funky match between the creamy avocado and the stronger basil pesto. All I can say is, try it out. You definitely won’t be disappointed.
It happens, you know.
You buy a couple of avocados but for some reason you just don’t get around to eat them fast enough. And because of that you end up with overripe avocados in a blink of an eye.
So what is the initial idea? Let’s make a delicious guacamole!
No kidding, I adore a good and creamy classic guacamole for lunch or as an appetizer snack. But I mean, there also have to be other recipes you can make with them, or am I wrong?
Let’s see what I can also dig up for you to try out.
Easy Pesto Chicken Soup with Avocado
Here’s some more inspiration for you.
I made a creamy avocado spaghetti sauce before.
This dish is also worth checking out!
Avocados are plentiful here in Spain and I love them because they are just sublime. The avocados here are creamy, bright green, very actually cheap and full of flavor. I sometimes just mash one up on a piece of grilled bread, pinch of pepper and salt and that’s it!
What a delicious quick lunch treat.
But like I said before, sometimes those avocados that you bought don’t end up in your meals fast enough. So that day I decided to make a chicken soup for lunch. And when I was about to start cooking, I saw that very ripe avocado look at me like that.
So I decided on a hunch to turn my initial chicken soup into a pesto chicken soup with avocado in it! I like the velvet texture that the soup gets once you blend the avocado. No need to add cream to it, this pesto chicken soup is creamy enough.
This is my third avocado soup actually.
My first one is a funky chilled green pea and avocado soup with bacon, which also makes a perfect for hot summer days! The second soup that I made with ripe avocados is one that also contains leeks and crunchy crisp bacon.
A lovely winter soup!
This pesto chicken soup is also the perfect hearty comfort soup for colder days. That pesto really lifts the flavors up in a way that will amaze you. Adding it was also just a hunch I have to admit.
I had made a batch of fresh green basil pesto a couple of days before that. And somehow I thought that a spoonful of that green powerful stuff might go well with the other ingredients too.
And luckily it did!
I wasn’t sure whether the hubs would love it because he’s not a huge fan of avocados. But he enjoyed it this soup to bits.
Easy Pesto Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock (600 ml)
- 9 oz fresh chicken breast (250 g)
- 2 medium garlic cloves
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- Pour the chicken stock in a high pan and then add the peeled garlic cloves. Place the pan over high heat until boiling and then add the chicken breast.
- Turn the heat a little lower, put a lid on the pan and cook the chicken breast for 10 minutes. Then remove the an from the heat, take the cooked chicken out of the stock and let it cool down for a couple of minutes until you can touch it without burning your fingers. Shred the chicken into smaller bits.
- Place the warm chicken stock back over medium-high heat and bring it to a good simmer. Slice the avocado in half, remove the seed and then with a tablespoon scoop the soft avocado meat out of its skin. Add it to the chicken stock. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Blend or mix the soup into a smooth mixture. Add the green basil pesto.
- Stir well. Then add the shredded chicken.
- Stir the soup well again. Let it simmer for another 3 minutes until warmed through. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary.
- Take the pan off the heat and scoop the avocado chicken soup into large bowls. Serve hot.