Here’s a flavor bomb to remember: my prawn ceviche with tequila! This is a cold and refreshing appetizer soup and it tastes just perfect on lovely summer days… And I bet that this explosive stuff will blow you away for sure!
The explosive flavor boost that this tequila prawn ceviche hides will blow you away for sure! It is amazing how simple it is to prepare a ceviche! And it’s yet another appetizer or starter recipe you can easily make in advance…
I love make ahead recipes! The cooked prawns only need to soak and marinate in the rest of the ingredients for some time.
All in all a very easy peasy recipe to make.
Before making this ceviche I thought that ceviche was just marinated sliced or dined raw fish. However I found out only recently that ceviche can also be a cold soup with raw fish and seafood in it.
I used cooked prawns of course.
Not that I don’t like raw prawns. I’ve eaten lots of raw prawns in Japan and I loved it. However for this ceviche soup I thought it would be better to used cooked prawns instead of raw ones.
Easy Prawn Ceviche with Tequila
The orange juice keeps the flavor balance perfectly somewhere in between sweet, sour and bitter. But don’t be afraid to add extra lime juice if you like.
Do you want to make this ceviche a non alcohol one?
Then you can easily leave the strong tequila out if you prefer. The flavor won’t be the same, but it wil lstill be a delicious cold shrimp soup though!
Serve the ceviche preferable ice cold.
This is a great summer garden party appetizer if you ask me…
Are you looking for a warm version of this ceviche?
Then also check out my recipe for caldo de camaron! It’s a fresh and light tomato soup with shrimp and diced avocado! And another great summer soup, even when you eat it warm!
Easy Prawn Ceviche with Tequila Recipe
- 16 prawns (cooked and peeled)
- 1 small red onion sliced thinly
- 1 medium fresh tomato sliced thinly
- juice of 4 limes
- juice of 1 small orange
- 3 tbsp tequila
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- a handful fresh cilantro chopped very finely
- a handful fresh mint chopped very finely
- ½ tsp ground chipotle
- Put the peeled prawns in a large mixing bowl and add the orange juice, lime juice, tequila and tomato paste. Then season with half of the chipotle powder and a tiny pinch of salt.
- Stir the prawns well, cover with a piece of cling film and put this in the fridge to rest until needed later. Soak the sliced red onion in a bowl of salt water for 20 minutes. This will remove the strong flavor but keep it fresh and crunchy and make it easier to digest for some of us.
Then drain the soaked red onion and add it to the chilled orange and prawn mixture together with the finely sliced ripe tomatoes. Also add the freshly chopped mint and cilantro.
- Stir well. Cover again with the cling film and let the prawns marinate in the fridge again for at least 45 minutes until ice cold. Check the seasoning right before serving and add extra salt or chipotle powder to taste if necessary. Then scoop the ceviche into little chilled glasses or bowls. Serve cold.