Creamy, creamier… creamiest! You will absolutely adore this super easy prawn spaghetti recipe with bisque sauce. Pasta and prawns, tell me what’s not to love about this one!
Do try this pasta treat at home, what a delicious prawn spaghetti dinner this is!
Lord, I am sure that you will definitely love this easy peasy peasy prawn spaghetti soaking in loads of that gooey creamy homemade bisque sauce!
You got that right: a homemade bisque!
Are you fond of that strong prawn flavor? That flavor that you can find in prawn heads for instance. Yes? Then I have some good news for you!
Because today I will show you something very important: never throw away those fresh prawn heads! For this prawn spaghetti I will tell you how to make a delicious creamy prawn bisque sauce out of them.
Don’t let the thought of those prawns heads put you off.
It is very simple to prepare and so delicious. Those prawn heads contain loads of flavor so why would we get rid of them in the end?
So here is why I never throw away prawn heads: because you will be surprised how much flavor and juice there is still left in those heads.
Once you have sifted that orange prawn sauce, all you have to do is just simply poach the peeled prawns in it and then pour the whole lot on top of your al dente cooked spaghetti.
And there you have it: spaghetti with prawns in a creamy bisque sauce.
A delicious prawn spaghetti at its best!
It really is that simple.
Easy Prawn Spaghetti In Creamy Bisque Sauce
This bisque sauce is so powerful.
It packs a punch.
You will be amazing by how much flavor is in it. And again, the recipe to make it is so simple! It is just like making a good stock from scratch. But this time instead of using a chicken carcass or beef bones, we replace that with prawn heads that people usually throw out.
What a waste.
I love to make other recipes with this homemade prawn bisque. Soups for instance. And my heavenly prawn croquettes.
Do you need more inspiration?
But in the meantime: here is my prawn spaghetti recipe to start with first! And I am absolutely sure that you will love it as much as we did.
Easy Creamy Prawn Spaghetti Recipe
Creamy, creamier... creamiest! You will adore this super easy prawn spaghetti with bisque sauce. Pasta and prawns, what's not to love! Do try this pasta treat!
- 9 oz dry spaghetti (250 g)
- 10,5 oz prawns (300 g), fresh or frozen
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- a handful fresh parsley chopped
- ½ chicken bouillon cube or fish bouillon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
1. Let the frozen prawns thaw fully. Then peel them and remove the heads. Don't throw them away: we'll make a bisque sauce with it. Rinse the prawns and then let them drain.
2. Then add the scales and prawn heads, bay leaf, bouillon and olive oil to a non-stick pan. Season with some pepper.
3. Place this over medium heat until the oil is hot. Then stir fry the ingredients for 4 minutes. Add the chopped garlic and a cup (240 ml) of water.
4. Stir and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the broth for 8 minutes. Then take the pan off the heat and let the broth cool down. Place a large pan with salted water over high heat. Cook the spaghetti until tender.
5. Then pour the cold prawn broth in a blender.
6. Blend into a coarse puree. Wipe the pan clean and place a sieve in it. Pour the blended prawns in it and let it drain. Squeeze the mixture well to get all the juices out.
7. Then discard the pulp. Reheat the prawn sauce over medium heat and add the prawns.
8. Simmer the prawns in the sauce for 5 minutes until cooked through. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or crumbled bouillon. Add the chopped parsley to the pan.
9. Drain the cooked spaghetti and add it back to the pan. Then pour in the prawn sauce and prawns.
10. Stir well. Then scoop the spaghetti and prawns onto plates and serve hot.
Mediterranean Saffron & Prawn Spaghetti
Have you ever cooked with saffron before?
You will love it because saffron is so flavorful!
Try out my prawn pasta with saffron then to help you along the way. Saffron is also one of of my favorite spices. You are right, it is not cheap. And if you find cheap saffron threads or powder you can almost be certain it is fake or of poor quality.
Better buy the real stuff.
I bought the best saffron in a tiny spice shop in the streets of Marrakech.
Soaking the saffron before adding it to your food really brings out the best flavors. Don’t throw it in just like that. And then when it is soaking, the saffron fragrance should fill your kitchen. And that is another sign that you are dealing with the real stuff.
Recipes with Saffron
Saffron is used in quite a lot of dishes in Europe, especially around the Mediterranean. Think of Spanish paella, bouillabaisse fish soup and Italian ossobuco with saffron risotto alla Milanese…
Do you love cooking with saffron?
Mediterranean Saffron & Prawn Spaghetti Recipe
- 9 oz dry spaghetti (250 g)
- 14 prawns fresh or frozen
- a pinch saffron threads or 1 capsule saffron powder
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ tsp dried herbs
- olive oil
1. Pour 3 tablespoons of cold water in a glass or cup and then add the saffron threads (or saffron powder if using). Let the saffron soak in it until needed later. The water should turn into a bright orange color.
2. Clean the prawns. Remove the heads and peel them. Then with a sharp knife make an incision along their backs and remove the black vein inside. Rinse the cleaned prawns well and let them drain a little.
3. Fill a large and high pan with water and season with a good dash of salt. Place the pan over high heat until boiling. Then add the spaghetti and cook until tender.
4. In the meantime peel and chop the garlic. Pour a good splash of olive oil in a large non-stick pan and add the garlic.
5. Place the pan over medium-high heat until the garlic starts to sizzle in the hot oil. Then add the cleaned prawns. Season with a little pepper and salt.
6. Sear the prawns quickly on both sides for just a couple of minutes. Then pour in the soaked saffron and an extra splash of olive oil.
7. Stir in the dried herbs. Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Once the spaghetti is cooked, drain and add it to the cooked saffron prawns in the pan.
8. Stir well. Scoop the spaghetti and prawns onto deep plates. Serve immediately.