Try out my rice fritters recipe! What a great way this is to turn leftover cooked rice from last night’s dinner into veggie appetizers or even a light lunch! These crunchy rice fritters also remind me of my childhood.
So let’s make a couple of cheesy rice fritters today!
And why not, because I have a large bowlful of leftover cooked rice in my fridge from last night’s dinner. Yesterday night we had a gorgeous chicken panang curry for dinner and I always like to serve my Thai chicken curry dinners with cooked rice.
And nine out of ten I somehow seem to make way too much of it.
Hence the portion of cooked leftover rice in my fridge.
But no need to start panicking.
I am certainly not going to throw away that cold rice! I hate throwing away food. All of my leftovers find their way in our meals the next day or the day after. Leftover boiled potatoes, cooked chicken, braised vegetables, cooked spaghetti. I will always come up with a lunch recipe to use it in.
And same goes for leftover cooked rice! Well I have the perfect recipe here to turn it into another lovely lunch meal! Crunchy rice fritters!
This lush rice fritters recipe remind me of my childhood.
We used to call them rice croquettes back then. My mom would make these quite often for lunch. At least that’s what I recall. Strange though, when I think of this rice fritters recipe from years ago, the flavors of both hazelnuts and raisins also pop up in my head.
I wonder why that would be?
Rice Fritters Recipe with Cheese
Well I guess that my mom would add them to the fritters as well once in a while.
Maybe that’s why but I’m not sure about that. I should ask her about that next time I see her. I do remember very well the crunchy bits of chopped shallot in the fritters though just like it was yesterday!
Yes, that fresh crunch is a must. That fresh and crisp onion really makes a difference in these fritters. Also make sure that you season the fritters very well or they might be a little bland in the end. Which doesn’t come as a surprise. These rice fritters contain just cooked rice, milk and flour. Which are not the most explosive of flavors.
So don’t be afraid to be generous with that pepper and salt. I even add a good pinch of curry powder to the rice fritter batter from time to time to give the fritters extra punch.
That’s why the onion and a good amount of seasoning are very important here to add that little extra. It really takes this rice fritters recipe to a whole new level. Be generous with the pepper!
Anyway, it is such a great way to turn leftover cooked rice into another delicious meal.
I’m absolutely not good at throwing leftovers or any food out.
I avoid that at all costs. Well I guess that I can little by little start working on a new leftovers only chapter… I have assembled quite a collection of leftover recipes by now!
If you want to try out another recipe with leftover cooked rice, then you should definitely check out my Thai rice bowls with spicy leftover lamb roast. Another meal for cold cooked rice!
And let’s not forget our all time favorite of course: fried rice!
I like my fried rice with bacon and eggs. Try it out!
In the meantime enjoy this easy cheesy rice fritters recipe!
I hope you like them as much as I do!
Rice Fritters Recipe
- 1 â lb cooked rice (600 g)
- 3,5 oz cheese (100 g), grated
- 1 oz unsalted butter (28 g), melted
- 1 shallot chopped
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- Â½ tsp baking powder
- olive oil
- 1 small egg
- Combine the cooked rice and egg in a large saucepan or a bowl.
- Add the grated cheese.
- Stir well. Now add the plain flour and baking powder. Season the rice with a little pinch of pepper and salt.
- Stir the rice again and pour in the melted butter.
- Stir well. Add the chopped shallot and some extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary.
- Combine the ingredients well. Add extra flour if the rice batter is too runny and wet. Pour a little olive oil in a large non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Add the rice batter in badges. I used a serving ring but you can also add dollops of the rice and flatten them a little.
- Fry the fritters until golden and crips and then flip them over. Cook them golden on this side as well. Once done, transfer the finished fritters onto some kitchen paper to drain and fry another badge of them.
- Once that is done, place the rice fritters on a large serving plate and sprinkle with extra salt. Serve the fritters warm.