Delicious Asturian style salmon with ham in apple cider sauce also known as Spanish salmón a la Ribereña… So what o we here then? This is a true culinary discovery! Fish, cider and meat? I’m in!
This flavorful salmon recipe with ham in apple cider sauce is also such a creative dish!
I stumbled upon this salmon recipe while leafing through my huge Spanish cookbook. I think that I must have prepared it about 10 times already by now because the hubs keeps asking me to prepare it so often.
It has also turned into a favorite of the house!
Salmón a la Ribereña
This salmon recipe is a Spanish recipe called ‘Salmón a la Ribereña’.
It originally comes from the Asturian region. Are you familiar with Spain? Asturia is somewhat up north. Now I come to think of it: that’s also where another of my recipes on this blog comes from: my fabada recipe or stewed beans with blood sausage, panceta and fresh chorizo.
It’s a quick and easy salmon recipe and the taste…
My gosh, it’s absolute bliss. Because the combination of the acidity of the reduced cider sauce and the velvety baked salmon comes close to perfection.
Salmon with Ham (Asturian Salmón a la Ribereña)
I like to keep the salmon quite raw on the inside.
How do you like your salmon cooked?
I just stir fry them quickly, the salmon only needs a little touch of heat to cook the outside. Don’t overcook the fish or it will become dry.
The two different textures of the cooked and raw salmon also make the whole dish even more interesting. You have to try it. I am you that you will love it just like we do!
Rice & Potatoes
I like to serve this salmon with ham over rice or accompanied by boiled potatoes.
And don’t go too crazy on drinks: a glass (or 2) of that gorgeous apple cider is all you need to make this a truly gastronomical dinner in just a few minutes!
Hmmm easy salmon recipes, I love them!
Asturian Salmon with Ham Recipe
Delicious Asturian salmon with ham in apple cider sauce, also known as Spanish salmón a la Ribereña... A true culinary discovery!
- 10,5 oz fresh salmon (300 g)
- 2,5 oz serrano ham (70 g), sliced
- 1 cup apple cider (240 ml)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- olive oil
- First of all dice the salmon into bite-size pieces and season them with a little pepper and salt. Pour the plain flour in a deep plate and then coat the salmon lightly.
- Pour a splash of olive oil in a non-stick pan and place it over medium heat until hot. Add the diced salmon.
- Brown the salmon pieces for 3 to 4 minutes on all side until crisp and golden. Cut the serrano ham into thin strips (I used a pair of scissors to do this, clean and easy). Then add the ham to the salmon in the pan.
- Stir fry the salmon and ham for a minute. Season with a little pepper and salt. Then pour in the apple cider.
- Stir well and then let the cider reduce by half until it thickens. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary.
- Divide the diced salmon between warm plates and top with the cooked ham. Drizzle with the reduced apple cider sauce. Serve hot.