Salpicon de atun is a typical Spanish dish of mixed vegetables in a vinegar and olive oil dressing and can contain canned or cooked fish and seafood as a protein.
Are you in for a fresh and healthy lunch salad then?
You might have heard of salpicon before.
Especially if you have visited Spain before, then I am sure that you are familiar with it.
Vegetables & Tuna
Salpicon is a classic Spanish salad that usually contains a colorful mixture of diced raw vegetables. Usually that is onion and bell pepper, all the colors you can get.
But I have also seen it with chopped celery, olives, cherry tomatoes boiled potatoes and eggs before which is not traditional ingredients but they also add a delicious twist to this dish!
This salad also swims in a fresh and powerful vinegar and olive oil dressing. In fact it need lots of vinegar and even lemon juice.
Easy Salpicon de Atun (Spanish Tuna Salad)
And then apart from the colorful mixture of diced raw vegetables, salpicon also contains fish and seafood. Salpicon with canned tuna for instance is a very popular version. That is what I added as well, I made a salpicon de atun.
However the most popular salpicon version comes with cooked octopus. A delicious salpicon de pulpo, I am always in for that one!
Other versions can contain cooked mussels, shrimp and angulas or fake glass eels made out to surimi.
You can also find salpicon in Southern America.
However that salpicon usually contains pulled beef or chicken.
Other than that the vegetables are pretty much the same. You put this type of salpicon on tacos with lettuce and avocado.
The Spanish fish or seafood salpicon is more like a salad.
Do you love this fresh fish salad?
Then you should also check out my cold salt cod salad!
Easy Spanish Salpicon de Atun Salad Recipe
Salpicon de atun is a typical Spanish dish of mixed vegetables in a vinegar and olive oil dressing and canned or cooked fish and seafood.
- 9 oz canned tuna (250 g)
- ½ small onion
- 1 small green bell pepper
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 4 canned piquillo peppers
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- Rinse the red and green bell pepper. Slice both of them open and remove the stem and the seeds inside. Then dice the bell pepper up very finely and add this to a large mixing bowl.
- Rinse the piquillo peppers until all of the seeds are gone and then let them drain on some kitchen paper for a minute. Peel the onion and dice it finely. Do the same with the piquillo peppers and add all this to the bowl.
- Stir the peppers and onion well. Add the olive oil and half of the white wine vinegar.
- Stir again. Then season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Stir and check the seasoning of the pepper salad. Add extra pepper, salt, olive oil of white wine vinegar to taste until you think it's seasoned perfectly. Drain the canned tuna.
- Crumble it up roughly and place it on a deep plate. Then top with the pepper salad and sprinkle with extra pepper and some olive oil. Place the salpicon de atun in the fridge for 15 minutes. Serve cold.