Yummm, here is another beautiful brussel sprouts recipe with a bunch of lovely flavors and textures… A crunchy shredded brussel sprouts slaw with crunchy bread croutons, grated parmesan cheese and crispy bacon bits in it!
Are you a fan of Brussel sprouts?
Let me guess, you hated them back when you were a child. Story of my life. And many of us I reckon. But what do you think of them now?
Do you still hate them?
Or has your palate and therefore opinion changed over the years?
Because that is my case.
Brussel Sprouts Fan?
Now I just love Brussel sprouts.
Strange, right. It is the same for other vegetables too. Vegetables such as celeriac, endives and cabbage. How about you?
What was the vegetable that you hate the most, and you love now?
I could have Brussel sprouts for breakfast even. In fact the hubs once incorporated some leftover shaved sprouts and cooked potatoes in our breakfast not so long ago. He sliced them up pan fried them in a little olive oil.
And then when the sprouts and potatoes start to caramelise, he cracks an egg on top of it.
Call it a potato and cabbage hash, but then with Brussel sprouts!
Easy Shredded Brussel Sprouts Slaw
But back to our shredded Brussel sprouts salad here.
When these bright green sprouts are in season, they are highly flavorful, crisp and packed with such a sweet flavor! In fact the sprouts are so delicious that you can easily eat them raw, in a simple salad for instance.
Make sure to slice or shave the sprouts very thinly.
This will add so much more to the crispy texture of the salad. You can use a very sharp knife to do that (this will take some time) or use a mandolin slicer. This goes much faster.
Just watch out for your fingers!
Do you love cooking with Brussels sprouts?
Then you should also check out my pan fried Brussel sprouts with bacon as well!
Easy Shredded Brussel Sprouts Slaw Recipe
Here’s a crunchy shredded brussel sprouts slaw with croutons, grated parmesan cheese and crispy bacon bits!
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts (450 g)
- 4 thin slices salted bacon
- 1 slice bread diced
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a handful parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- ground cinnamon
- Place the bacon slices next to each other on a baking tray.
- Grill or roast them for a couple of minutes until crispy. you can also pay fry them if you like. Once cooked, transfer the crunchy bacon onto some kitchen paper and let it drain for a couple of minutes. In the meantime pour the olive oil in a small non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Add the diced bread as soon as the oil is hot.
- Bake the bread croutons in the hot oil for a couple of minutes until browned on all sides. Stir very regularly. Keep an eye on the croutons, they burn quickly. Once baked, pour the croutons on some kitchen paper too and let them drain.
- Trim, clean and rinse the brussel sprouts. Slice or shave them finely using a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer. Add the sprouts to a large mixing bowl together with the mayo.
- Stir very well. Season the sprouts with a little pinch of pepper, cinnamon and salt. Add half of the grated parmesan cheese too.
- Chop the crispy bacon into smaller chunks and add them to the sprouts slaw.
- Stir well again. Also add the freshly chopped parsley.
- Stir and check the seasoning. Add extra pepper, salt or cinnamon to taste if necessary. Transfer the shredded sprout slaw to a bowl and sprinkle with the rest of the grated cheese, some freshly grated black pepper and the baked bread croutons. Serve immediately.