This smoked salmon appetizer is definitely one of the little gems to surprise guests with! It is super easy to make in advance and so cute as well!
I love throwing garden parties!
How about you?
Garden parties are a great idea in the summer. I love to invite a bunch of people on a warm day in my cool and shady garden. Lots of cold drinks everywhere, and a bunch of finger food everywhere.
I like walking dinners because there’s no fixed menu or sitting around a table all evening. Not that I don’t like that. But I like it when people can just move around, take the food that they want, pour themselves a drink and go talk to everyone.
This smoked salmon appetizer is also one of the little gems that I like to surprise my guests with. It’s easy to prepare in advance: the stuffed salmon roll just has to chill in the fridge for a while. Slice it up and serve.
Easy Smoked Salmon Appetizer Roll-Ups
Smoked salmon is quite heat resistant. It won’t turn bad if it sits on a table for a couple of hours. That doesn’t mean that you don’t have to careful with it. Place it in a shady spot, not in direct sunlight.
I tried all different types of stuffings and spreads.
A very simple cream cheese with a little sting of chili pepper and lemon is the one I love the most. And it is also the most popular version if I can believe my guests. I also add the salmon trimmings as well (I just can’t throw away anything) but you can keep them aside to garnish other little appetizers with it as well.
Do you love cooking with smoked salmon?
Then also check out my smoked salmon and egg gratin!
Easy Smoked Salmon Appetizer Roll-Ups Recipe
This smoked salmon appetizer is super easy to make in advance and cute!
- 7 oz smoked salmon slices (200 g)
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 10 leaves fresh parsley
- Cover a clean chopping board with a sheet of cling film. If you are using a rolling mat, place it on top of the chopping board. Cover with the cling film. Then arrange the slices of smoked salmon so they overlap slightly.
- Then trim the edges. I prefer using a pair of scissors for this job.
- You should end up with a rectangular slab of about 5 inches (12,5 cm) by 10 inches (25 cm).
- Put the salmon in the fridge for now. Then add the salmon trimmings to a blender together with the cream cheese.
- Pulse well and add the red chili powder and lemon juice.
- Pulse gain into a fine paste. Then check the seasoning. Add more chili powder or lemon juice to taste if necessary. Chill the cream cheese filling in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Spread an even layer of the cream cheese mixture lengthwise on one half of the smoked salmon.
- Gently fold one side over the filling and press lightly.
- Then wrap the salmon roll tightly in the cling film.
- If you are not using a rolling mat, wrap the salmon in an extra sheet of tinfoil. Let the salmon roll rest in the freezer for 30 minutes. Then remove the tinfoil if using but keep the cling film on (this will make slicing easier). Cut the salmon into ½ inch (1,5 cm) thick slices. Pay attention to remove all of the cling film before serving! Then place the salmon appetizers onto spoons. Garnish each with a parsley leaf. Serve chilled.