Here is a classic among spaghetti classics that you will adore, I’m sure about that: spaghetti and meatballs! Because you can never go wrong with a pasta dinner like this one, right? So who is in for a delectable classic tonight?
Well then I guess this dish doesn’t really need any introduction.
Spaghetti and meatballs coated in a deliciously creamy and homemade rich tomato sauce… I also love to make this meatball tomato sauce a day in advance actually.
Make Ahead Spaghetti Sauce
The flavors are even better the day after if you ask me.
That is what I also do when I’m preparing a classic spaghetti sauce for instance: I start the day before. It just tastes so much better the day after if you ask me!
So what do you think?
Does it make a difference to you?
Easy Classic Spaghetti And Meatballs
I first sear the meatballs until they are nicely golden before I make the sauce.
And then I add them in the end to poach and cook on the inside in the finished tomato sauce. But you can also just let the raw meatballs poach in the hot sauce from the very beginning if you like.
Your choice really, it is up to you!
I sometimes prepare a large batch of this meatball tomato sauce for spaghetti and meatballs and serve it with creamy polenta, mashed potatoes or fries instead of with pasta.
Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
Do you like the sound of that?
Then you should also check out my classic Belgian meatballs in tomato sauce…
And my grandmother’s recipe!
It is also a great dinner idea if you have a bunch of people over for dinner. Meatballs in tomato sauce are an easy dinner to make ahead, just reheat it and tell your guests to make their way to the table.
You will love this classic among spaghetti classics I am sure: spaghetti and meatballs! You can never go wrong with a pasta dinner like this one, right?
Easy Classic Spaghetti And Meatballs Recipe
A classic among spaghetti classics: spaghetti and meatballs! You can never go wrong with a pasta dinner like this!
- 9 oz dry spaghetti (250 g)
- 8 raw meatballs
- ½ small onion chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove chopped
- 7 oz canned chopped tomatoes (200 g)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 glass red wine
- 2 tbsp worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- ground cinnamon
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- grated cheese
- olive oil
- Pour a little olive oil in a large pan and bake the meatballs for 8 minutes until brown. Then transfer the meatballs to a clean plate and put them aside.
- Don’t wipe the pan clean. Then add the chopped garlic and onion together with the bay leaves, rosemary and cloves. Place the pan over medium heat.
- Gently fry the ingredients for 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, the sugar and a pinch of cinnamon.
Stir well. Then add the red wine, balsamic vinegar and worcester sauce. Season with a good dash of pepper and salt. Bring the tomato sauce to a rolling boil and then turn the heat low. Simmer the sauce under a lid for 15 minutes. Stir regularly. Then blend or mix the sauce until very creamy.
- Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. If the sauce is too bitter or vinegary, add an extra pinch of sugar to reduce that flavor. Then add the browned meatballs to the sauce.
- Cover and cook the meatballs for 15 minutes until warmed through. Also cook the pasta al dente and then drain it.
- Then add the pasta to the sauce and meatballs and stir well. Divide the pasta and meatballs over deep plates. Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve hot.
Who invented spaghetti and meatballs?
The origin of spaghetti and meatballs is uncertain, but it is believed that the dish originated in Southern Italy.
Some theories suggest the dish was introduced by Italian immigrants in the United States in the late 19th century.
Why is spaghetti and meatballs so popular?
Spaghetti and meatballs is a popular dish because it is comforting, filling, and easy to make.
Its flavors are classic and familiar, and it is a versatile dish that can be adapted to many different tastes and preferences.
Additionally, it is an affordable meal option that can feed a large group of people.
Where can you eat the best spaghetti and meatballs?
The best spaghetti and meatballs can be found at Italian restaurants.
Some of the highest–rated Italian restaurants are located in cities such as New York City, Rome, and Los Angeles.
What New York restaurant serves the best spaghetti and meatballs?
John‘s of 12th Street in the East Village is widely considered to have the best spaghetti and meatballs in New York City.
It is famous for its classic New York City coal–fired pizza. The restaurant has been serving up thin–crust pies since 1929 and is beloved by locals and visitors alike.
What goes typically in a spaghetti and meatballs?
A typical spaghetti and meatballs dish contains spaghetti pasta, tomato sauce, ground beef or Italian sausage, and herbs such as oregano, thyme, and basil. Parmesan cheese is often sprinkled on top.