Red alert because this hot and spicy pasta bowl is so addictive! It contains al dente spaghetti, capers in brine, olive oil and highly delicious harissa paste.
So how about a plateful of spicy pasta today?
This pasta dish with a hot harissa paste sauce is one of my many last-minute pasta meal ideas that I can always rely on. Because dry spaghetti, capers in brine, olive oil and Tunisian harissa paste are among those kind of ingredients that I always keep in my pantry non-stop.
We all need a couple of dinner back up plans, right!
And this spicy pasta is one of them.
Spicy Pasta with Harissa Paste
And that’s all you need for this recipe really.
Why make food complicated if you can also make it real simple at the end of the day then?
What a lovely spicy pasta dish this is…
My husband even told me to write that ‘he ate it all’. So that’s the cure for a small stomach then! Never mind, I could eat this harissa pasta every single week myself.
I even wish I made more of it last night…
So then, all I can say is: please try it and see for yourself how delightful this spicy pasta sauce is!
Do you love cooking with spicy harissa?
Then you should also check out my mediterranean vegetable salad!
And how about my lamb kofta skewers with harissa! I love those with fluffy couscous.
Easy Spicy Pasta with Harissa Recipe
- 9 oz dry pasta (250 g)
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 ml)
- 2 tbsp spicy harissa paste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- a handful fresh herbs chopped
- 2 tbsp capers in brine
- Fill a large and high pan with cold water, season it with a good dash of salt and place it over high heat until boiling. Then add the pasta and cook it until tender. Keep an eye on it!
In the meantime pour the olive oil in a small saucepan. Then add the harissa paste and the tomato paste to it.
- Whisk until well combined and then place the saucepan over medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Add the freshly chopped herbs and salted capers to the harissa sauce. Season with a little pinch of salt.
- Stir the harissa sauce well, then check the seasoning and add more harissa or salt to taste if necessary. Once the pasta is tender and cooked, drain it and transfer the cooked pasta back to the pan. Drizzle it with the harissa sauce.
- Stir the spicy pasta well to coat it evenly with the harissa sauce. Then transfer the spicy pasta onto plates and serve hot.
Tomato & Harissa Spaghetti
Did you like that spicy pasta recipe above?
Well I have great news for you because if you love cooking with harissa: well here is another spicy pasta recipe with harissa and fresh tomato!
This recipe is very simple and fast.
The perfect dinner idea for a lazy cooking day: 1 ripe and fresh tomato, some raw onion and dry pasta. This makes a great spicy harissa spaghetti! Ah that glorious Tunisian red paste, I love it so much.
Have you ever tasted harissa before?
It’s quite spicy and a tad bitter. That’s why I like to add a little touch of vinegar to this spicy pasta recipe right in the end to make it a little more pleasant.
Tomato & Harissa Spaghetti Recipe
Here is another spicy pasta recipe with harissa and fresh tomato!
- 9 oz dry spaghetti (250 g)
- 1 small fresh tomato diced finely
- ½ small onion
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp spicy harissa paste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- Peel the raw onion and the garlic cloves. Then slice them up roughly. Pour the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the sliced garlic.
- Place the pan over medium heat until the oil is hot and gently fry the garlic for 2 minutes. Don’t burn it. Then add the sliced onion to the pan.
- Stir well and let the onion and garlic bake for 5 minutes until translucent but still somewhat crunchy. Then add the spicy harissa paste.
- Stir the onion well and add half a cup (120 ml) of water. Also add the dried herbs, the red wine vinegar and a pinch of salt.
- Stir the onion well and turn the heat lower. Put a lid on the pan and let the onion simmer in the harissa sauce for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir regularly. In the meantime fill a large and high pan with water and add a pinch of salt to it. Place it over high heat until boiling. Then add the spaghetti to it.
- Cook the spaghetti until tender and then drain it. Add it to the harissa and onion sauce. Stir well and check the seasoning. Add extra spicy harissa or salt to taste if necessary. Then scoop the pasta onto plates and finish with the finely diced ripe tomato. Serve hot.
Spicy Chili Spaghetti
And we’re not done yet here.
By far! Can you manage another spicy spaghetti recipe?
Don’t let this spicy chili spaghetti make you all hot and sweaty before you even read a little further because it sounds much spicier than it really looks.
Browse through the ingredients listed below and you will notice that I use a milder red chili instead or the burning hotter versions.
The ones I find in my local supermarket are just perfect for this recipe.
Mild & Hot Chillies
They give the spaghetti an intenser and deeper flavor but are far from inedibly spicy. When I use them fresh from the vegetable department they don’t do me any harm. I like to dry the leftover chili when I’m not planning to use it instantly.
But watch out from that moment on then: the dried chili flakes are pretty hot.
I normally chop up twice the amount of garlic I use now and let it fry in the oil before adding the sliced chili. But because we had a drink planned with friends after our spaghetti dinner we thought it wise to avoid a garlic breath.
That’s why I only fry off the whole clove in some oil and then remove it before adding chili. The garlic perfume is less intense and so was ours afterwards.
Do you love spicy pasta dishes?
Then also check out my homemade hot arrabiata pasta sauce from scratch!
Spicy Chili Spaghetti Recipe
- 9 oz dry spaghetti (250 g)
- 1 large red chili mild
- 1 medium garlic clove
- olive oil
1) Fill a large and high pan with cold water, season it with a good dash of salt and place it over high heat until boiling. Then add the pasta and cook it until tender. Keep an eye on it!
2) Cut the chili peppers in half. Remove the seeds and slice the chili lengthwise. Peel the garlic clove.
3) Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large non-stick pan and place it over medium-high heat until hot. Then add the whole garlic clove and fry it in the hot olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until it starts to look brown.
4) Remove the clove using a slotted spoon. Now add the sliced chili to the pan and stir fry it for 3 minutes.
5) In the meantime drain the cooked spaghetti and transfer it to the chili and oil in the pan. Toss and mix well. Season with a pinch of salt to taste.
6) Stir and toss the pasta again and then check the seasoning. Add extra salt to taste if necessary. Scoop the chili spaghetti onto plates and sprinkle with extra freshly ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately while still hot.