Here’s a great vegetable summer side dish for you to try out soon! My Thai stir fried cucumber in a creamy and gooey salty homemade peanut sauce… This dish is absolutely delicious!
The hubs walked into the kitchen while I was preparing this dish for lunch that day.
And at first he thought that I was making an Indonesian gado gado salad because it does look a bit like that Indonesian delicacy.
That Oriental meal salad contains ingredients such as fresh cucumber, carrots, bean sprout, and hard boiled egg. I’ve also seen versions of it with boiled potatoes, fried tofu and tempeh or soybean cake.
All topped off with a lovely creamy peanut sauce.
And the hubs is right, this stir fried cucumber dish below also swims in a peanut sauce which makes it look pretty similar indeed.
Do you like peanuts?
Salted roasted peanuts are my all time favorite snack. Peanuts are so addictive! And so is peanut butter. I love the clash between the sweetness of the sugar and the saltiness of the peanuts.
Have you made peanut sauce at home before?
Previously I used to buy this peanut sauce powder mix in my local Chinese supermarket. All I had to do was add hot water to it. However after I tried to make peanut sauce at home one day, I’ve ditched the store bought version and always make some from scratch now.
Another family favorite here at home: classic chicken satay with peanut sauce!
Stir Fried Cucumber with Peanut Sauce
The hubs loves that cucumber and peanut flavor combination.
So he wasn’t disappointed when I put this funky fresh side salad on our dinner table! I served it with a couple of fillets of leftover grilled fish from last night’s dinner.
Are you looking for more fresh and easy cucumber salad recipes like this one for lunch?
Then also check out my Greek tzatziki recipe! I am sure that you are very familiar with this mediterranean grated cucumber, yogurt and mint dip…
Here's my Thai stir fried cucumber covered in a creamy homemade peanut sauce... Delicious!
- fresh cucumber
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup chicken stock (80 ml)
- ⅓ cup coconut milk (80 ml)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- garlic powder
- fresh red chili
- 1 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- caster sugar
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Rinse the cucumber and slice it in half. Then chop both halves up into bite-size bits. Pour the vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan or wok and place it over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cucumber.
- Quickly stir fry the cucumber for 2 minutes. Then take the pan off the heat and add the lime juice, the fish sauce and a pinch of sugar and garlic powder.
- Stir well. Then add the red chili and the freshly chopped cilantro and mint.
- Stir the cucumber well again. Then pour the cucumber in a large bowl and let it chill and marinate in the fridge for 10 minutes. Stir regularly. Right before serving, add the peanut butter and chicken stock or coconut milk to a wok or non-stick pan and place it over medium heat.
- Stir well until the peanut butter falls apart. Then add the coconut milk and stir the sauce until it is creamy and slightly runny.
- Transfer the cold marinated cucumber (without the remaining marinade) to a serving dish and drizzle with the warm peanut sauce. Garnish with extra cilantro and mint. Serve immediately.