You just have to try out this feta and sweet potato casserole with olive oil and dried thyme… What a color and flavor overdose! And what a healthy lunch idea as well. This casserole packs a punch.
I’m on a sweet potato roll lately!
Just look at this gorgeous sweet potato casserole: chunky and savory sweet potato bits, made just a little creamier thanks to the crumbled feta cheese on top.
Do you like sweet potato?
This amazing root vegetable was on my meh-list until about a year ago.
Until I started to discover it here in Spain. These buggers here come in 2 different shades: the usual reddish orange one and the white yam kinda yellow white one, we call it batata here in Tenerife.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Feta Cheese
It’s been a learning curve, cooking with sweet potato. I’m not very experienced with it, but it’s a great challenge to find the right flavor match to go with it.
My husband once suggested serving white sweet potato mash with salt cod.
I was a bit apprehensive about that in the beginning because it just didn’t seem right back then. But actually he was so right, salt cod and sweet potato are a lovely combo!
Sweet Potato Mash
I served the sweet potato mash with a lovely salt cod steak and a cilantro pesto. Or Canarian green mojo verde.
Credits for this recipe idea go to our neighbours Marc and Chris! I’m going to serve it this year for Thanksgiving as a side dish for my turkey roulade!
Are you looking for more sweet potato recipes?
Then also check out my buttery sweet potato mash with orange zest, cilantro and salted butter. It’s an excellent side for fish or beef!
Are you looking for a delicious soup with sweet potato?
Sweet Potato Soup
Then you also have to try out my silky smooth beetroot and sweet potato soup with feta cheese!
Oh, I didn’t realise that I also combined sweet potato and feta in that recipe just like in the sweet potato casserole below!
Sweet Potato Casserole with Feta Cheese Recipe
- 10,5 oz red sweet potatoes (350 g)
- 10,5 oz white sweet potatoes (350 g)
- 3,5 oz feta cheese (100 g)
- a handful fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tsp dried herbs
- garlic powder
- olive oil
- Peel the sweet potatoes and then dice them up finely. Add them to a large mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the olive oil and dried herbs. Season with a pinch of pepper, salt and garlic powder.
- Stir the potatoes well. Then place a wok or large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the sweet potato mixture to it.
- Stir fry the potatoes for 12 to 15 minutes. Then take the pan off the heat and let the potatoes cool down. Once cooled, crumble the (feta) cheese and add it together with half of the freshly chopped parsley to the bowl.
- Stir well again. Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Then pour the potatoes and cheese in a large baking dish.
- Bake the potatoes in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 1 hour or until soft. Then remove the dish from the oven and serve hot.