Everyone loves a good classic Thai green curry recipe, right? Here is a creamy and spicy Thai chicken dinner! I added green beans, mint and peas to it to turn it into a lovely one pan meal.
It is so great to prepare a Thai green curry recipe with a delicious homemade green curry paste from scratch. But I’m an even bigger fan of ready-made curry pastes I find in my local Asian supermarket around the corner.
Because I once made a green curry paste from scratch at home.
It took me quite some time to do but it was such fun. I had done it before in Thailand during a cooking class. But strangely it didn’t entirely reach the quality, depth and flavor of the one I made back then.
Even the bottled curry paste was better.
Thai Green Curry Recipe with Chicken
Or was it just in my head?
I didn’t add shrimp paste because there was none available at that time and the galangal was substituted for ginger. Maybe these little changes were the culprits, who knows.
If you are still in for a little bit of fun, then here are the basic ingredients you need to prepare your own green curry paste at home.
Lemongrass, green chili, shallots, garlic, galangal, coriander, basil, ground cumin, pepper, ground coriander, fish sauce, shrimp paste, lime juice and brown sugar.
Well I guess that’s about it. You can either blend the whole lot. Or play the brave kitchen hero and grind it all into a smooth puree using a mortar and pestle if you got a couple of well trained biceps…
Do you love a good Thai curry for dinner?
Good luck with this curry recipe!
- 12,5 oz fresh chicken breast (350 g), diced
- a handful green beans
- a handful frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk (240 ml)
- fresh mint or cilantro
- vegetable oil
- fish sauce
- hot chili sauce
- Pour a little vegetable oil in a large non-stick pan and place it over medium heat. Add the green curry paste.
- Stir fry the curry paste for a minute until fragrant. Pour in the coconut milk.
- Stir well. Let the curry sauce boil for 3 minutes over medium-high heat. Then add the diced chicken breast.
- Stir well and let the chicken boil for 3 minute. Then turn the heat lower and let the chicken simmer for 5 minutes under a lid. Add the string beans and frozen peas.
- Cook the curry for another 4 minutes. Take the pan off the heat and check the seasoning. Add extra fish sauce or chili sauce to taste if necessary. Stir in the freshly chopped mint or cilantro.
- Scoop the curry onto deep plates and serve hot.