Here’s one of my most favorite Asian summer salads: a refreshing Thai green mango salad! Packed with flavor and crunchy vegetables… You will love that fish sauce and lime juice marinade!
Have you every been to Thailand before?
Then you surely must have eaten this Thai green mango salad up there! If you leave that country without having eaten this classic, then you haven’t really been there… And I mean that. It would be like going to Brussels without having waffles.
Or visit Vietnam without trying their pho bo noodle soup!
The hubs and I visited Thailand a couple of years ago.
We stayed for about 2 months. And we loved every single day we were there. We mainly stayed in hotels so we had to eat out a lot. Not that we minded.
The food was always excellent, and cheap as well.
We would always look for street food specials. Like this mango salad. We’ve eaten tons of this stuff. Never had a bad one though. And it’s normal, because if you look at the ingredients you need.
Together with the fact that you can get the freshest produce everywhere.
There’s really no room for error.
Thai Green Mango Salad (Som Tum Mamuang)
But I have to agree with you, green mango is not easy to find outside of Asia.
I’m lucky to have an Asian supermarket called Sun Wah (near Central station) quite close to our home in Antwerp where they sell fresh Thai vegetables and herbs. But Thai green mango isn’t always available there.
You can also prepare this salad with green papaya. Which is again not always on sale at the Asian supermarket.
If I can’t find either of them, then I usually use another more easier substitute for green mango would be shredded white cabbage. Of course it doesn’t taste the same, it’s only a substitute.
But I like the crunch of the cabbage in this salad!
Do you like Asian flavors?
Then also try out my Thai stir fried cucumber in peanut sauce!
- 1 medium green mango
- a handful fresh carrot grated
- 3 green beans sliced into bite-size pieces
- 4 cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1 medium garlic clove
- 1 red chili or to taste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or palm sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp salted peanuts crushed
- a handful fresh cilantro
- Transfer the peeled garlic clove and red chili to a pestle and pound into a smooth paste. Add the fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of water, the palm (or brown) sugar and the lime juice.
- Pound and mix into a smooth mixture until the sugar has dissolved. Then put this aside until needed later. Peel the green mango using a sharp knife and grate it finely. Discard the seed in the centre.
- Transfer the grated mango together with the grated carrot to a large mixing bowl. Then add the sliced green beans and cherry tomatoes.
- Drizzle with the garlic mixture from the pestle.
- Stir well. Add the salted peanuts and fresh cilantro.
- Stir well again. Then check the seasoning and and add extra lime juice of fish sauce to taste if necessary. Transfer the green mango salad onto plates. Serve at room temperature.