How awesome is this recipe! Here is my lovely mom’s oven baked baked yellow turnip recipe! And boy, does this side dish bring back some sweet childhood memories…
This over baked turnip recipe is an all time family favorite!
It’s kind of strange how flavors and smells have the power to just pick you up and project you right back into the past years ago! Every single time that I’m baking this turnip gratin in the oven, a very familiar and mouth watering aroma fills the entire kitchen.
And it just gives me goosebumps even writing this down!
My mom used to be a stay at home mom.
Which means that she was always in charge of cooking. And she made loads of dishes I love. But I have to admit that this turnip recipe is in my top 3 of most favorite childhood treats. That sweet baked turnip smell is epic.
I just can’t get enough of it.
Oven Baked Turnip Recipe with Cheese
But hold on a minute!
You need yellow (golden) turnips for this recipe. Turns out my supermarket only sells white ones. And quite frankly I don’t like those because they are not as sweet as the yellow turnips.
I tried it before, but I was very disappointed though.
Up until the day that I stumbled upon bunches of yellow turnips at the Saturday farmers market for the very first time. That was about time!
They were mine right away, I just had to have them.
Like I said before, I once made this turnip recipe with white turnips but something was definitely missing. Yellow turnips are much sweeter, which makes this dish so appetizing.
Try it out and see for yourself then!
Do you love turnips?
- 1 ⅔ lbs yellow turnips (700 g)
- 3,5 oz parmesan cheese (100 g), grated
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter soft
- Rinse the yellow turnips and let them drain for a few minutes in a sieve. Cut off the green stems and then peel the turnips. Grate the turnips finely.
- Put the soft butter on a large oven tray and rub it all over using your fingers (or a piece of kitchen paper if you like).
- Then transfer the grated turnips to the tray. Try to spread the turnips evenly so that they can cook evenly as well. Season them with a little pepper and salt.
- Sprinkle the grated turnips with the grated cheese. Then season one last time with a pinch of pepper and salt.
- Bake the grated turnips in a preheated oven at 392°F (200°C) for 30 to 35 minutes until the cheese has melted and the sides of the turnip au gratin start to brown. Then turn the oven off but leave the turnips inside for another 20 minutes to rest. Remove the turnip gratin from the oven. Cut it up and serve.