Do try out my delicious vegetarian quiche recipe with braised endives! And a pungent strong French cheese… by the name of Munster! This vegetarian quiche is such a lovely lunch idea.
Do you like endives?
You can also find them under the name of chicory. It’s a very popular vegetable here in Belgium. And I love it to bits. My favorite Belgian endive recipe is au gratin endives wrapped in ham in a creamy cheese sauce.
However I felt like cooking up something totally different today!
The endives in this vegetarian quiche recipe get on extremely well with the Munster cheese.
Does Munster cheese ring a bell somewhere?
Have you ever heard of this French cheese before?
Now I don’t know if Munster is the king of pungent cheeses.
But it definitely tries its utmost best. Even when I store it in an airtight container, then it still makes sure that I won’t forget about it. Because every time you open that fridge door, everyone else at home will know you do!
God almighty, what a smell! But what a delicious cheese Munster is too…
Love it or hate it!
Easy Vegetarian Quiche Recipe with Endives
Munster is delicious on a piece of French bread.
And if I have to believe the wine pairing, then it’s even better with a cold glass of white Grüner Veltliner next to it.
Or bake it in the oven like I do for this vegetarian endive and cheese quiche! Start licking thumbs and fingers because this savory pie is hard to ignore.
And not only because of its smell. Hey, it smells just fine when it comes straight out of the oven! No worries.
Of course, if you can’t find Munster cheese at your local supermarket, just use whatever other strong and pungent cheese you can find as a substitute.
Do you love savory quiches?
Then here’s a not so vegetarian quiche recipe for you to check out: smoked haddock quiche with spinach!
Easy Vegetarian Quiche Recipe
My delicious vegetarian quiche recipe with braised endives and a pungent strong French cheese... Ths is such a lovely lunch!
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 1/3 lbs fresh Belgian endives (600 g)
- 2 small shallots chopped
- 4,5 oz Munster cheese (125 g), or another strong cheese
- ½ cup cream (120 ml)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp capers in brine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
1) Clean the fresh endives and then cut them in half. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large pan until melted. Then gently brown the shallots for 3 minutes. Add the endives cut side down and cook for 10 minutes under a lid. Sprinkle with water to prevent from burning. Season with pepper, salt and nutmeg.
2) Then place the puff pastry in a tart tin and remove any excess dough. Prick with a fork.
3) Cut the Munster into small pieces.
4) Combine the cream, plain flour and eggs.
5) Drain as much liquid from the cooked endives as possible. Place them with the shallots on the puff pastry. Sprinkle with the Munster. Pour in the cream mixture. Sprinkle with the dried thyme, the capers and pepper to taste.
6) Then bake the quiche for 25 minutes in a preheated oven at 392°F (200°C).