Juicy vinegar chicken with tomatoes and fresh tarragon! This sounds like a great idea for your next chicken dinner… Enjoy this delicious meal!
This vinegar chicken is my all time favorite easy chicken recipe.
And a true family classic here!! Honestly, I have no clue why this is such a success. Sure it tastes amazing. You definitely have to try this one out. The ingredients are so drop dead simple.
You have to like vinegar in your dishes though.
Because the vinegar is what keeps this dish together. And then that tender and juicy chicken meat, the soft cherry tomatoes in the vinegar sauce. Best fresh herb for this combo is fresh tarragon. I’ve made this vinegar chicken before with other fresh herbs, but it never tasted the same.
You definitely need tarragon here!
This recipe has been in the family for quite a while. I still remember seeing the recipe in magazine quite a few years ago. And we instantly liked the sound of it.
Vinegar Chicken with Fresh Tarragon
And it was also an instant hit when we prepared it the very first time. I think that by now I must have made this vinegar chicken about 50 times by now!
Over the years I made a couple of small adjustments to the recipe. And frankly I could even make this ripper dish with my eyes closed because I’ve done it so many time before.
I don’t know what makes this delicious chicken recipe such a delicacy. Is it its simplicity, the vibrant red color, the summer sweetness of the cherry tomatoes, the grassy tarragon flavor or the surprising sting of vinegar?
I prefer to serve this chicken dish with al dente spaghetti. But a scoop of creamy polenta, orzo (Greek pasta) or grilled ciabatta are also great side dishes for this chicken dish!
- 2 fresh chicken breasts
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken stock (120 ml)
- ¼ red wine vinegar (60 ml)
- a handful fresh tarragon
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with pepper and salt.
- Pour the olive oil in a medium non-stick pan and place it over high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken breasts.
- Then sear the chicken breasts quickly in the oil for 4 minutes until nicely golden brown on one side.
- Flip the chicken over and bake the other side for 3 more minutes. Then transfer the breasts to a baking dish.
- In the same pan you just baked the chicken in (don’t wipe it clean!) pour the water and the red wine vinegar. Turn the heat lower to medium.
- Stir and bring the water and vinegar to a light boil. In the meantime slice the cherry tomatoes in half and add them to the pan.
- Then stir in the fresh tarragon as well.
- Bring the tomatoes to a good simmer and then take the pan off the heat. Check the seasoning of the sauce and add extra pepper, salt or red wine vinegar to taste if necessary. Then pour the sauce over the baked chicken breasts in the baking dish.
- Bake the chicken in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for 20 minutes until cooked through. Once done, remove the dish from the oven and place the chicken and tomatoes onto deep plates. You can stir a bit of ice cold unsalted butter through the remaining sauce in the dish if you like. Then drizzle the vinegar sauce over the chicken and serve.