How to make crepes: failproof recipe!
1) Add the milk, sugar, butter and vanilla essence (or bean, sliced in half) to a large saucepan.
2) Place this over medium heat. Let the milk warm through until the butter has melted. Don’t let it boil. Then take the pan off the heat and let it cool down for 10 minutes. Sift the self-raising flour over a large mixing bowl and add the cooled milk mixture.
3) Stir well. Also add the eggs and a pinch of salt.
4) Stir well again. Then blend or mix the batter for just 10 seconds to make sure there are no floury lumps in it anymore.
5) Let the batter rest for 45 minutes at room temperature before baking the crepes. Brush a non-stick frying pan with a little drop of vegetable oil (or melted butter).
6) Place the pan over medium heat. Add a spoonful of the crepe batter (depending on how large your frying pan is) but not too much, the crepes have the be very thin.
7) Move the pan around a bit so the batter spreads evenly.
8) Bake the crepe for about 2 minutes or until the edges start to brown.
9) Then check the cooked side to see if it looks golden enough.
10) Flip the crepe over using a spatula. Bake the crepe for another 2 minutes or so.
11) Transfer the crepe onto a clean plate and cover with tinfoil to keep the stack of crepes warm. Brush the hot pan lightly with another drop of vegetable oil, add some of the batter and bake crepes until the batter is used.