1. Rinse and brush the salsify first because the roots can be very sandy and dirty. Then peel them.
2. Rinse them well under cold running tap water again. Make sure that all the sand and dirt are totally washed off. While peeling the salsify, let the peeled roots soak in some water with half of the lemon juice. This keeps them from oxidation that makes the white salsify yellow once they are peeled.
3. Then chop the peeled salsify roots into small bits. Also peel the potato, garlic cloves and onion. Chop them up finely.
4. Add the butter to a large pan and place it over medium heat until the butter has melted. Then add the chopped onion, potato, garlic and salsify. Also add the curry powder and a pinch of nutmeg, pepper and salt.
5. Give the vegetables a good stir and let them sweat for about 5 minutes. Then add the chicken or vegetable stock and turn the heat high until it starts to boil.
6. Then turn the heat lower again and cover the pan. Let the salsify soup simmer for 10 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft and smooth. Then take the pan off the heat.
7. Pour in the cream. Blend or mix vegetables the until you end up with a very smooth and velvety salsify soup. Check the seasoning and add extra pepper, salt, curry, nutmeg or butter to taste. Also add extra water or stock if you fin the texture too thick.
8. Scoop the salsify soup into bowls, sprinkle with extra curry if you like and serve hot.