Cold Persian yogurt soup with caramelized onions, raisins, garam masala and chickpeas: refreshing and satisfying!
1. Add the olive oil, sliced garlic and onion to a large non-stick pan. Season with a pinch of salt.
2. Place the pan over medium-high heat and gently fry the onions on the oil for 5 to 7 minutes until they start to soften. Stir regularly. Then add the unsalted butter. Season with the garam masala, the ground cumin, the ground curcuma, a pinch of chili powder and salt.
3. Stir and let the butter melt fully. Then put a lid on the pan. Turn the heat a little lower and cook the onions for about 15 minutes. Stir regularly, don’t let them burn. They should be slightly caramelized in the end. Keep an eye on them.
4. In the meantime heat the vegetable stock in a high pan for 5 minutes and add the raisins. Then turn the heat back off and let the raisins soak.
5. Once the onions are cooked, take them off the heat and add them together with the melted butter in the pan to the vegetable stock and the raisins. Also add the drained chickpeas.
6. Stir and let the soup cool down for 15 minutes or the yogurt will split. Once the soup has cooled down, add the Greek yogurt and the freshly chopped cilantro and mint.
7. Stir the yogurt soup well. Then check the seasoning and add extra chili powder, garam masala, cumin or salt to taste if necessary. Chill the soup in the fridge for another 10 minutes. Then scoop it onto deep plates, sprinkle with the pine nuts and extra fresh herbs. Serve.