You will adore these caramelised asparagus, they are a real treat!
1) Peel the asparagus carefully using a vegetable peeler. Discard the tough skins. Then chop the cleaned white asparagus into bite-size pieces.
2) Pour the shaved almonds in a small non-stick pan and place it over medium heat.
3) Roast the shaved almonds for 2 minutes until golden. Keep an eye on them, it goes fast and the almonds might burn. Toss the almonds almost continuously. Immediately transfer them to a clean plate and let them cool down fully. Don’t leave the almonds to cool in the hot pan or they will burn and turn black.
4) Next up melt the unsalted butter in a large non-stick pan and place it over medium-high heat. Let the butter melt fully and once that is done, add the chopped white asparagus bits.
5) Stir well and bake the white asparagus in the melted butter for a couple of minutes. Season with a little pinch of pepper and salt. After that add the freshly grated lemon zest.
6) Stir again and bake the white asparagus now for another 6 to 8 minutes until they are tender and cooked on the inside and golden and a little caramelised on the outside. Then stir in the freshly chopped parsley and half of the roasted shaved almonds.
7) Give the baked white asparagus a last good stir. Then check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Transfer the baked white asparagus to a clean serving bowl and sprinkle with the rest of the roasted shaved almonds. Serve immediately while still hot.