Best moussaka recipe in the world!
1. Slice the potato and eggplant into finger thick slices. Pour half a cup (120 ml) of olive oil in a large non-stick pan and place it over medium-high until hot. Then add the potatoes. Fry them on both sides for 7 minutes.
2. Let the potato slices drain on kitchen paper. Add the sliced eggplant to the hot oil and fry them for 4 minutes on both sides.
3. Then let the fried eggplant drain on kitchen paper as well. Place a layer of fried potatoes in a small baking dish and top with fried eggplant.
4. Leave about 2 tablespoons of hot olive oil in the pan you fried the potatoes and eggplant in. Place it over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic and bell pepper. Season with pepper and salt.
5. Gently fry the vegetables for 2 minutes. Then add the ground meat.
6. Stir fry the mince and vegetables for 5 minutes. Then add the grated tomato, tomato paste and red wine. Season with cinnamon, pepper and salt.
7. Turn the heat up and cook the beef for a few minutes until the wine has almost disappeared. Take the pan off the heat. Let the mince cool. Then put it on top of the layers of eggplant and potato.
8. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Then add the flour.
9. Whisk well. Let the flour paste bake for 2 minutes. Then pour in the milk.
10. Keep stirring well. Turn the heat lower and let the béchamel thicken a little. Add a pinch of nutmeg and salt to taste. Take the saucepan off the heat and pour the bechamel sauce on top of the cooked mince.
11. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Place the moussaka in a preheated oven at 356°F (180°C) for about 50 minutes until golden. Let it cool at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.