Rich, savory and sweet, this onion soup has it all!
1) Peel and chop the potatoes, garlic cloves and onions. Add the butter to a large pan and place it over medium heat until melted. Then add the chopped onion and stir well. Gently fry the onion for 8 to 10 minutes until browned. Then add the garlic, thyme, turmeric and potatoes. Pour in the cream and the beef stock. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
2) Bring the ingredients to a good boil and then turn the heat lower. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the onion and potatoes are soft.
3) In the meantime place the slices of bacon or cured ham on an oven rack lined with baking paper. Place the rack in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 10 minutes until crisp. Keep an eye on it!
4) Once the vegetables are cooked, take the pan off the heat and remove the thyme. Blend or mix the soup until soft and smooth. Add extra cream if necessary. Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste.
5) Place the soup over low heat and let it simmer for another 5 minutes. Then scoop the soup into bowls and top with the crunchy crisp ham or bacon. Finish with an extra drop of cream.