1) Remove the canned sardines from their tin (you can rinse the tin and keep it to serve the spread in later) and put them on a large or deep plate. Mash the sardines up roughly with a fork.
2) Then add the mayo and strong mustard to the sardine mash. Season with a little pinch of pepper and salt to taste.
3) Mix and stir all the ingredients until you get a chunky paste. Don’t mash it up too finely. Then add the chopped or grated orange zest, the white wine vinegar and the chopped fresh or dried thyme.
4) Stir the sardine mash well again. Then add the tomato paste.
5) Stir well until all the ingredients are well combined. Check the seasoning of the sardine dip and add extra pepper, mustard or salt to taste if necessary. Transfer the spread to a small serving bowl or fill the rinsed sardine tin with the fish dip. Keep the sardine spread at room temperature because the flavor will be less explosive if it's cold. Serve with crackers or nachos.