Like stuffed peppers? Then check out this stuffed pepper with quinoa!
1) Pour the quinoa grains in a sieve and rinse them under cold running tap water.
2) Pour the vegetable stock in a large saucepan and place it over high heat. Bring it to a rolling boil and then stir in the rinsed quinoa.
3) Turn the heat lower now and let the quinoa cook for about 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t become mushy. I like quinoa best when it is still a little crunchy.
4) Once the quinoa is cooked through, drain it and immediately rinse it under cold running tap water to stop the cooking process. Drain the quinoa well and pour it in a large mixing bowl together with the drained (and rinsed) canned black beans and sweet corn.
5) Stir well. Add the freshly chopped cilantro, a pinch of salt, the cumin seeds, half of the hot chili sauce and the tomato paste.
6) Stir well again. Now add the grated cheddar (keep a little aside for garnish later).
7) Stir the quinoa mixture. Check the seasoning and add extra salt or hot sauce to taste if necessary. Put the quinoa in the fridge to chill. Slice the bell peppers in half lengthwise and remove the seeds inside. You can leave the stem on if you like. It’s only for decoration but I find it looks good when you plate the bell peppers up. Fill the 4 bell pepper halves with the quinoa mixture and place them on a baking tray lined with tinfoil.
8) Grill the stuffed bell peppers under a hot grill for about 5 minutes. If you kept some grated cheddar aside earlier on, you can sprinkle it on top of the warm bell peppers now and grill them for another couple of minutes or until the cheddar has nicely melted. Transfer the hot stuffed bell peppers to a plate and serve hot.