This chilled carrot soup with a hint of orange is a lovely veggie starter drink!
1) Peel and trim the fresh carrots. Chop them into smaller chunks. Peel the garlic cloves as well and add them together with the carrots to a large baking dish. Then sprinkle the vegetables with a little dash of pepper and salt. Add a drizzle of olive oil as well. Stir the carrots well and put them in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C).
2) Roast the carrots for about an hour. Stir them once after 30 minutes. Then turn the oven off and let the carrots rest in the hot oven for another hour.
3) Then transfer the roasted carrots and garlic to a large saucepan and add the vegetable stock.
4) Bring this to a boil. Once boiling, add the orange slice and cover the pan with a lid. Cook the carrots and orange for another 5 minutes. Then let it all cool down again. Once the carrots are cold again, pour it all in a clean blender.
5) Blend into a very fine carrot soup for about a minute. Make sure there are no chunks anymore. Then pour the soup through a fine colander or sieve into another bowl or pan. Stir and press the remaining carrot pulp using a spoon or spatula until all the liquid is drained.
6) Then check the seasoning of the remaining carrot soup and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Chill the soup in the fridge for an hour. Serve.