1) Soak the raisins in a little water while you prepare the salad. Peel the garlic clove and mash it finely under the blade of your knife. Pour a splash of olive oil in a medium non-stick pan and then place it over medium heat. Add the mashed garlic.
2) Gently cook the garlic for 2 minutes without browning. Don’t burn it! Peel the carrots and chop them up. Add them to the cooked garlic. Season with a pinch of pepper and salt.
3) Stir the carrots well and cook them in the hot oil for 2 minutes. Slice the vanilla bean in half and scrape out the black vanilla seeds. Add both the black vanilla seeds and the sliced vanilla bean to the carrots.
4) Stir the ingredients and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes. Stir regularly. Then add the lemon juice and the lemon zest to the pan.
5) Cook for another 2 minutes. Check the tenderness of the carrots. They should still be a little crunchy. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the chopped red onion.
6) Stir and check the seasoning. Add extra pepper, salt or lemon juice to taste if necessary. Stir in the chopped cilantro and the handful of (drained) raisins.
7) Let the carrot salad cool down fully. Serve at room temperature.